Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radio issue all speakers dead when drivers front is hooked up.

i have a pioneer radio but use the factory speaker wiring from the radio to the doors. this morning i went to leave and had no door speakers at all only subs. i pulled the radio and unhooked speakers one at a time and when i unhooked the drivers door the other 3 speakers came back to life. i took the door apart and found nothing visually wrong but after taking the door apart i was able to re attached the drivers door speaker without it killing the other 3. what can cause this? i also noticed that it was only the ground wire for the speaker that would kncok it out the positive wire would make the speaker come to life but only if i left the ground unhooked. after pulling door apart was able to hook up both wires to the speaker.

1 hour ago, sirtokesalot said:

i have a pioneer radio but use the factory speaker wiring from the radio to the doors. this morning i went to leave and had no door speakers at all only subs. i pulled the radio and unhooked speakers one at a time and when i unhooked the drivers door the other 3 speakers came back to life. i took the door apart and found nothing visually wrong but after taking the door apart i was able to re attached the drivers door speaker without it killing the other 3. what can cause this? i also noticed that it was only the ground wire for the speaker that would kncok it out the positive wire would make the speaker come to life but only if i left the ground unhooked. after pulling door apart was able to hook up both wires to the speaker.

Usually it's a short in the wire somewhere.  Check for pinch points inside the door (window mechanisms, hinges, etc.  It could also be behind the head unit if it's tight back there.  You could meter the wire to confirm.  The speaker could also be bad, check resistance while the meter is out.  You could also just run a new wire in about 20 minutes and probably call it good.

• Like 1