Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej trans locked in 4wd and low range posable ?

ferp420

how much compitabulityis there between ea and ej transmissions 

or what i really want to know if i can use the transfer gears and low range from the ea on a ej i wont need to shift in or out of low and i dont really need 2wd ether so i would be ok with it locked in 4wd and low range

what whould be needed to do that i know i can buy a ej duel range trans case and use ea82 guts but there not exsacly easy to find ether

There’s lots of compatibility between the two boxes so long as you follow the two key rules: 

1) both boxes are dual range

2) the EJ box is a phase 1 box* 

With 2) and the * bit: The EA82 low range can be adapted to the phase two EJ box if the phase two box is dual range too. 

The internals of the EA and phase 1 WJ box aren’t a direct swap in to the phase two cases. They will physically fit but reverse will be weakened/may not live beyond the first use as the shaft for the reverse slide gear is ~2mm further out compared to the phase 1 boxes. 

To get back to the original question: you could mate the EA82 internals and rear case with the phase 1 EJ front cases. Input shaft bearing mods will be required to fit the EJ input bearing housing. You’ll need a custom gearbox mount, prop shaft and maybe linkages. 

Or you could run an adaptor plate between the EJ engine and EA82 gearbox like they do in EJ conversions to EA series models. You’ll still need the other mods regardless and you’ll need to mod the EA82 flywheel to mate to the EJ crank. The EA82 clutch may need to be beefed up depending on your needs. You can add the bracket for the EJ pitch stopper rod to the EA gearbox too. This option would be easiest for gearbox replacements if it’s ever needed. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I don't quite follow what you're doing.

But, the low range gearset is on the input shaft of the transmission. The EJ cases are cast with the cavity for the gears, but they are not machined out for the bearings and such. It would take quite a bit of precision machining to convert a single range case to dual.

The 4WD versions have a very different output shaft/front pinion arrangement. You could use a FT4WD front pinion gear in an EJ output shaft, and then have the locking center. But if you don't care about unlocking, it would be far easier to just weld the EJ center.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...