Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat axle and cv questions

Any axle experts out there? I need to replace CV joints up  front  and I'm looking at complete axles offered on Ebay. There are some that claim to fit 80 to (some later year like 1990) or 82-(some later year like 1990) and some that say they only fit early models. Does anybody know what the actual deal is? Are there more than just early model and late model axles? If it came to it, could I buy axles and just transfer CV joints to my current axles? This is a 1985 Brat. N. American version if that matters. 4 speed. Carbureted Ea81. The usual 1985 stuff. 

I need some guidance. Plus there is a thread elsewhere that looks like it's from July of this year where a guy ordered axles or CV joints and got the wrong items. Tell me what to buy, oh axle gurus.

It’s tough these days. You’ve got folks that just concede that they’ll be replacing axles often just because you can’t find quality.

And then there’s the folks that devote the time and expenses to repack or rebuild their own axles. You can buy ball bearings. I kind of wish I was one of those guys. But lack or time and place to work and I’m in the same boat as you. Assuming you’re not going to do an axle rebuild. 

Non answer so far, but I’d consider getting a cheap replacement and keep your old one to rebuild or send out. 
If your old axle lasted a long time it may be worth the effort. 

Post your results please. I have a few axles coming up from 1979 through 2006 various generations. 

16 hours ago, BratshitCrazy said:

Any axle experts out there? I need to replace CV joints up  front  and I'm looking at complete axles offered on Ebay. There are some that claim to fit 80 to (some later year like 1990) or 82-(some later year like 1990) and some that say they only fit early models. Does anybody know what the actual deal is? Are there more than just early model and late model axles? If it came to it, could I buy axles and just transfer CV joints to my current axles? This is a 1985 Brat. N. American version if that matters. 4 speed. Carbureted Ea81. The usual 1985 stuff. 

I need some guidance. Plus there is a thread elsewhere that looks like it's from July of this year where a guy ordered axles or CV joints and got the wrong items. Tell me what to buy, oh axle gurus.

You should just need a standard non turbo EA81 axle. Rockauto only lists one variation:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1985,brat,1.8l+h4,1267747,drivetrain,cv+axle,2288

You can reboot yours.  I've done this with 100% success rate and it always works though I'll avoid ones trashed with south georgia pecan tree access road sand or mountain coal field aggregate.

I wouldn't be confident of axle parts interchanging, the axles/splines/ball/cups aren't all the same.