Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 GL wagon on Ebay went for $1375

azdave

I guess I paid way too much for my 87 DL wagon if this 89 GL wagon with under 100K miles only bid to $1375. It had some issues but still. I was half tempted to bid on it just for a parts car but that would be a shame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125499833935?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8AKsYzVLSdC&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=JEXglpUgQ3a&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by azdave

• azdave changed the title to 89 GL wagon on Ebay went for $1375

Yeah they aint worth nothin.

Especially the auto's. Can't get any parts and those 3AT's were trash. The pump drive splines like to strip out and you can't get the pump drive shafts anymore.

All the EA's are what I consider "dead platforms" - there's no parts to drive them regularly. 

I'm considered an "enthusiast" and an "expert" around here I guess - that's all just an unintentional result of my personal need to maintain and repair my own fleet of vehicles. Once a vehicle can no longer be supported I simply move on. I have no emotional attachment to them - I'm still driving 80's vehicles primarily but I've switched to GM platforms that have HUGE support for parts - both new old stock and reproduction. The Subaru's have no support so their usefulness and thus their value is limited. 

20 years ago I drove EA's because they were REALLY cheap and the junk yards were full of parts. Now there's nothing and in any case I'm not a starving college kid anymore and I have no time to haunt junk yards. It boggles my mind that anyone would bother with these vehicles at this point - any amount of research will tell you they are not a viable platform and newer Subaru's have turned into absolute electronic trash. So essentially the entire brand is dead to me. We repair them at my shop because we have the expertise and the experience and there's a HUGE number of them in our area and they are always broken so it's a great business model. It's a terrible choice for the consumer but it makes me a lot of money so 😃

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Yeah they aint worth nothin.

The correct phrase is “yeah they ain’t worth anything” or “they’re worth nothing”. Can’t have a double negative in a sentence, it’s like multiplying two negatives together. 

Sorry, just one of my pet hates of our language that I hear many young kids replicate thinking they sound cool. 

As the the autos, they’re a good base to convert to dual range manual in my book. Generally speaking the auto models are very tidy having been babied their whole life and usually garaged. I love grabbing the rear shafts from autos as they’re usually “unused” as such and are mint for spares. 

But as GD says, they’re hard to find parts for from the junkyard. Aftermarket service parts still seem to be available enough, at least they are over here for now - we’ll, until we cut ties with China economically we should be “fine”. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

The correct phrase is “yeah they ain’t worth anything” or “they’re worth nothing”. Can’t have a double negative in a sentence, it’s like multiplying two negatives together. 

Sorry, just one of my pet hates of our language that I hear many young kids replicate thinking they sound cool. 

As the the autos, they’re a good base to convert to dual range manual in my book. Generally speaking the auto models are very tidy having been babied their whole life and usually garaged. I love grabbing the rear shafts from autos as they’re usually “unused” as such and are mint for spares. 

But as GD says, they’re hard to find parts for from the junkyard. Aftermarket service parts still seem to be available enough, at least they are over here for now - we’ll, until we cut ties with China economically we should be “fine”. 

Cheers 

Bennie

You have CV axles that aren't garbage? You have EA82 oil pumps? 

This seems unlikely. 

I stand corrected..... "They ain't worth a fast flying f*ck" - does that work out grammatically? 

LOL. 

GD

14 hours ago, 6 Star said:

It was an automatic...

...and had Serious Rust issues all around! 😮

However, is always more fun to drive an old slow car, Fast;

rather than being driving a Fast car, Slowly...

5 hours ago, el_freddo said:

... as GD says, they’re hard to find parts for from the junkyard. Aftermarket service parts still seem to be available enough ...

Completely agree with that phrase. 

in my case, I've had good times swapping better, stronger parts from other cars' brands,

to build my "BumbleBeast" as a Reliable car and seems like I achieved my goal long ago,

as the Subie tends to not give almost any problem for years...

Greetings from Honduras.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

You have CV axles that aren't garbage? You have EA82 oil pumps? 

We have semi acceptable CV shafts that do the job alright. EA82 oil pumps, what are they? I don’t run the EA82 as I like the oil to stay inside the engine, I got over the lifter tick and the lack of performance. EJ is the way for me in the EA82 platform. The EA81 goes well but this too will be replaced at some point, I’m just chasing some pieces of the puzzle and doing my testing before it goes into the running vehicle. 

7 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

I stand corrected..... "They ain't worth a fast flying f*ck" - does that work out grammatically? 

Yeah mate that works out just fine. I know you’re not the sentimental type so I won’t got there with these vehicles! 

All the best to the new owner of the one that sold. Probably a parts car… 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 3 months later...

Damn. 

I couldn’t ever work on my BRAT cause I was a broke college kid, and now that I have the money the parts aren’t there. I genuinely cannot find an EA81 rear diff to save my life. 

Guess I’ll have to throw it on an s10 chassis or something 😔

Edited by comatosellama