Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 Subaru GL Wagon 4wd: Which struts?

kanurys

I agree with azdave on changing to a better supported vehicle in the future. We have a 1986 Toyota Pickup that I just did OME and Bilstein suspension parts on and it is much more supported, stronger, less comfortable, heavier, can't turn as tight, front and high oriented center of gravity, etc... There are tradeoffs in everything but the main reason I like the GL is it's size and uniqueness. Hopefully we'll figure out a suspension solution that will keep them running for a little longer. At least until gas is becoming scarce :)

Out here in the great South West we see a lot of new style 4 wheelers and trucks. So far none have appealed to me to replace what the GL can do. (not regarding safety, but 4 wheeling capabilities and feel). It would be cool to go electric some day, but at that point I might as well weld in some modern suspension, too, since one could ditch the whole transmission and low range.

Edited by kanurys

it wouldent be that hard to mod a standered shock to work as a strut you just need something to slip in the pocket that can be clamped down on to you can fab up a spring purch with out to much work

ford tempo springs and your in buisness

ive never actually installed the vw struts i just know they fit i asume you need the loyale top hats i could get some pics and mesurements if your interested in going that route

i have a loyale and a superbeetle sitting next to eachother

i do have tempo front springs on stock struts up front and 300zx struts on the rear of the loyale with stock springs right now

Edited by ferp420

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe struts for a Nissan Rogue?  I haven't tried this - but I came across this video -  at 10:30 you can see the struct clamps into the knuckle similar to the Subaru ones.  I don't have any to measure.  I figure the top end is easier to mod or swap.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently going through a laundry list of things on my 87 Brat and came across this thread. I have a full set of brand new bushings waiting to go in, and the steering wheel shakes like a chihuahua above 40mph so I've taken a dive into suspension research for all the "While I'm down there, might as well replace <X>".

It looks like there are a couple options for rear, but for the front there aren't any coilover options from a more supported platform like Miata, if I'm understanding this correctly? Would something from a side-by-side (like Polaris four-wheeler things) be strong yet small enough to work on these?

• 2 weeks later...

All these recommendations to bale for a better supported old car... sheesh.  Are we not manly men ?  Anyone can mod a Miata - it takes gumption to backwood engineer a lowered strut for our beautiful old EA's !  I've had to channel my inner McGyver more times than I can count to keep these funky old boxers humming. 

I'm thinking about some sort of adapter that'd fit into the spindle socket and allow the typical strut to clamp onto it... but it'd have to be an awfully short strut on a lowered car.  Larry the GL has a sectioned Monroe housing with a VW Rabbit cartridge stuffed inside.  What we lose in ease we gain in satisfaction 😉

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

10 hours ago, photorich65 said:

All these recommendations to bale for a better supported old car... sheesh.  Are we not manly men ?

I think I'm still representing the "manly men" category well enough but there will come a time (for me anyway) when it is just not practical to daily-drive some of these old relics. I own 9 cars that are nearly 60 years old and drive 5 of those quite often. I also drive and maintain my 87 DL wagon of course plus an 87 Mazda B2000. :D

Back on the topic of finding 87 wagon struts, they are still out there if you get lucky.

After this thread was started I began watching eBay for a spare front set for my 87 wagon and found two new Monroes from two different sellers. They were both NIB in original packaging and indicate they were made in England. Total cost deliver to my door was $70 for both so those may come in handy some day or will go to the next person who owns my wagon.

18 hours ago, photorich65 said:

All these recommendations to bale for a better supported old car... sheesh.  Are we not manly men ?

No, I'm a woman who enjoys spending time wrenching and driving, not retiring a vehicle due to lack of parts. :D I'll see if one of the drift Miatas around here can compare to the Brat for hardware. If a custom mount is all that would be needed to unlock more suspension parts that wouldn't be so bad. The new Brat bushings from DRW Poly Bushings are fantastic. I don't have the full set in yet but the couple I've done so far are so much better than the "fruit leather" consistency of the current ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 11:57 AM, Icedragon said:

No, I'm a woman who enjoys spending time wrenching and driving, not retiring a vehicle due to lack of parts. :D I'll see if one of the drift Miatas around here can compare to the Brat for hardware. If a custom mount is all that would be needed to unlock more suspension parts that wouldn't be so bad. The new Brat bushings from DRW Poly Bushings are fantastic. I don't have the full set in yet but the couple I've done so far are so much better than the "fruit leather" consistency of the current ones.

I was mostly talking out my a$$, it's not easy trying to daily these suckers.  I bought a well used FJ Cruiser to have a back up after an untimely igniter failure.  If any of you have a source for new or rebuilt distributors, that's my Achilles ! 

Miata / Accord coil springs, depend on what you want. 

For a little Stiffer Ride, getting rid from saggy butt with loads, 

I chose Honda Accord front coil springs on the Rear, 

Huge imptovement... I suggest you read the article whose link is on my post above.

Edit: Here it is ~► https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Has further details and photos... 

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for everyone's input. I love the idea of inserts to adapt adjustable camber type assemblies to, but this idea also scares me a little. I thought of that a few years ago and abandoned it for that reason. I might entertain it again, though. It certainly would be an engineering project (design, test, iterate, fail, give up, start again).

If anyone gets access to some Nissan Rouge struts please take a measurement and post back with the year, as well.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:24 AM, ferp420 said:

it wouldent be that hard to mod a standered shock to work as a strut you just need something to slip in the pocket that can be clamped down on to you can fab up a spring purch with out to much work

ford tempo springs and your in buisness

ive never actually installed the vw struts i just know they fit i asume you need the loyale top hats i could get some pics and mesurements if your interested in going that route

i have a loyale and a superbeetle sitting next to eachother

i do have tempo front springs on stock struts up front and 300zx struts on the rear of the loyale with stock springs right now

Thanks for the offer. I currently have tempo springs on stock struts, but they're a little too stiff and limit flex which is bad in my particular use case. You might as well take some dimensions on the different struts you have a post here so folks can get some good hard info.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, carfreak85 said:

There are apparently Honda Civic coilovers that are somewhat compatible with out front knuckle design.  That's all the information I have, unfortunately.
Rears can be easily adapted to 00+ Legacy/08+ Impreza rear coilovers.

Does anyone have access to a late 90's Civic or their shocks so a measurement can be taken. This might be a good option if the diameter on the knuckle end can be verified. Also, what is the travel of these shocks?