Ultimate Subaru Message Board

disti identifcation halp

before I looked in, I could see myself saying that a part number stamped into the side is often the most helpful :)

OK. I don't recognise that number at the moment. Is it a points dizzy, or module? Do you have any inkling as to what engine series it looks like it will fit - your close up does not pan out to see if it is EA81 or earlier, or even EA82 twin ear

Distributors with part number 22100AA341 stock | ProxyParts.com   this link says year model 1990  1.8 litre petrol for Legacy

Aaand... you can't believe everything you read/find on the internet.

This part number sounded like EA82 body series stuff so I looked it up in L Series catalogue and now note your location.

The parts manual says it is for 1.6 litre 1988 through to 1992, maybe 1987 as well (don't recall exactly)

So, EA71 engine in an L Series (GEN2) body

What are you doing ??

• Well, not holding you to ransom but pretty sure others would also like to know/see some detail of what this EA71 is in - to grab attention perhaps , of others that may be able to walk you through set up steps. At this stage we don't know what you have it in , if you have any or much mechanical ability, or even a manual to get you past all the easy stuff. Some with EA71 contact points distributors might also crave a distributor with a module inside. 

With these Hitachi distributors of EA81 and EA82 (1984 only I think) the usual replacement parts are rotor button and distributor cap, then ignition module and the vacuum advance canister on the side. Rarely, some need the bushing replaced. I suspect the module in yours of unknown year at the moment, will be the same module of EA81 and EA82. If so, still easy to get. They are also common to Honda and possibly Nissan of the same era. Vacuum canisters can be overhauled. I can get some factory part numbers to suit this distributor to aid chasing parts

EA71 posted in an 80’s forum I reckon this could be in an L series @Steptoe's photos, they came like this from factory in some parts of the world like Africa! But I’m keen to now what it’s in too.

As Steptoe said @Mayanstolero, it could be the ignition module in the dizzy that’s died. This is replaceable - I’d also recommend replacing your coil too as these kill ignition modules if they’re not operating properly or when they die. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

OP gone, never to resurface ?

Hopefully not! 

I’m keen to see what this EA71 is in, I still reckon it’s an L series, but going by my track record in this thread I could be quite wrong!! 

Cheers 

Bennie