Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well, after more than 20 yrs, it has finally happened.. we are down to one Subaru here...

Other half's 06 LL Bean Outback has been showing classic signs of head gasket issues - on an H6 with well over 200K, coolant loss - apparently just "disappearing" and recently not running very well in general.

He wanted to get something a bit newer, with low miles, and after much soul searching, researching and thinking about things, he decided not to go Subaru again.. just too many problems with the newer FB engines, and the CVTs - he did not want to screw around with all of that mess...

So, Friday evening he came home with a 2017 Mazda CX5.   A bit fancier than we are used to with all the electronic "stuff", but a nice vehicle in general.

The LL Bean will be sticking around for a while yet - not giving up on it completely.. but yeah, it deserves a break - has been a pretty good car for a lot of years now. have tossed around the idea of pulling the engine and doing head gaskets & timing on it.. but then again.. it has overheated a few times now.. not for long, it was always caught quickly, but still.. multiple overheats.. might be better off with a different engine - JDM perhaps?

Best of luck with the Mazda and all going forward. I’m fairly sure I/we are going to follow Rick’s advice (GD) and for my better half we’ll lease something. Maybe Subaru maybe not. 

Me, I’ll tough it out with my beloved old cars, for now. 

On 10/1/2022 at 9:57 PM, heartless said:

Other half's 06 LL Bean Outback has been showing classic signs of head gasket issues - on an H6 with well over 200K, coolant loss - apparently just "disappearing" and recently not running very well in general.

He wanted to get something a bit newer, with low miles, and after much soul searching, researching and thinking about things, he decided not to go Subaru again.. just too many problems with the newer FB engines, and the CVTs - he did not want to screw around with all of that mess...

So, Friday evening he came home with a 2017 Mazda CX5.   A bit fancier than we are used to with all the electronic "stuff", but a nice vehicle in general.

The LL Bean will be sticking around for a while yet - not giving up on it completely.. but yeah, it deserves a break - has been a pretty good car for a lot of years now. have tossed around the idea of pulling the engine and doing head gaskets & timing on it.. but then again.. it has overheated a few times now.. not for long, it was always caught quickly, but still.. multiple overheats.. might be better off with a different engine - JDM 

Any uncertainty on how long it ran hot, or if turn around time is critical: JDM.

If turn around time isn’t critical, or it overheated on someone’s watch that I know: repairing is a reasonable option.