Ultimate Subaru Message Board

12 v oil extractor to change oil??

Herniated discs in back. Postponed surgery hoping for self-heal. 

Getting better but tried to climb under car to change oil and realized that my ability to get back up was limited.

I understand dealerships are relying on pumping to change oil, no lift time, no cross threading drain plugs. Some cars being manufactured without drain plugs?

Anyone have experience using something like THIS?

Seems like less mess, draining directly into a waste container. No ground time.

Filter is on top in the 2019 OB.

Won't need to call 911 to get me off the ground.

• Like 1

looks like a good try, looks like standard aquarium hose available at wal mart or other places so when it dries out/cracks should be easy to swap out. Proprietary hoses are annoying. If it's relatively easy I'd clean it afterwards and store it out of sunlight and wrapped up to prevent UV/O2 exposure, I wouldn't expect great longevity from that. I've been around a reasonable amount of fluid pumps and small cheap hobbyist ones are prone to fail. A local large land scaping company quotes new pumps for many jobs and throws them away. It's not worth their time to maintain/expect them to work because they have so many issues with them.

harbor freight has a few options but none look compelling over that one you posted.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, idosubaru said:

looks like a good try, looks like standard aquarium hose available at wal mart or other places so when it dries out/cracks should be easy to swap out. Proprietary hoses are annoying. If it's relatively easy I'd clean it afterwards and store it out of sunlight and wrapped up to prevent UV/O2 exposure, I wouldn't expect great longevity from that. I've been around a reasonable amount of fluid pumps and small cheap hobbyist ones are prone to fail. A local large land scaping company quotes new pumps for many jobs and throws them away. It's not worth their time to maintain/expect them to work because they have so many issues with them.

harbor freight has a few options but none look compelling over that one you posted.

Yeah, checked HF too. Nothing special there.

I ordered late yesterday & it will be here tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon/eBay. i feel like these items are already on a truck and half way up my driveway as I hit the order button.

Should be easy enough to store rig  in a small plastic bin, even smaller than a drain pan. 

I'll report back on speed of evacuation, maneuverability on snow and ice, etc. on this major investment.

• Like 1

I had to play the role of one of the gorillas this morning. I’m ok ! So at this moment my back is doing pretty well. Don’t feel bad if you need me to help out. I know it’s a temporary deal. Just not this afternoon, going to see my dad and watch the ballgame. 

FAIL!

Not exactly sure how the oil pan is stepped but regardless of how far I tried to place/manipulate the drain hose, it only sucked out about 3 quarts.

Sucks... but not enough?

And so then I had to wriggle under the car and finish the job old school.

Oh, one more thing, what's with the combo handle for the jack where you have to thread the lug wrench through a small handle that engages the jack?

OK now get off my lawn.

• Like 1