Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2022 Various Parts Availability

Hey all, I just recently finished a EJ22 swap into my 1987 RX and been driving it around pretty regularly. Unfortunately, now that it is back on the road, a few problems have cropped up.

The struts are barely passing the bounce test, and a bushing has started making it's presence known. The dealer no longer has struts available, and rock auto came up with nothing too. Is it worth even looking into aftermarket? Rock Auto does carry struts and shocks for the Loyale, is it worth swapping to those?

Additionally - the dual range transmission can be hard to shift and the temperature hasn't even gotten to below zero up here yet. It feels like the 2nd gear Syncro is on its way out, and sometimes it grinds a little bit going into third gear. This gets better after the fluid is warmed up.

This is the fluid I used: https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-75W90-Performance-Transmission-Fluid-1/dp/B007L6Q1EK

I read on a different post that a member replaced the synchros and bearings in their dual range transmission by ordering the parts individually through Subaru. This was back in 2014 and my local dealer can't find these parts in the data base. Are these discontinued? 

Looking for any help and recommendations. Are the parts becoming so rare that I should be looking at swapping over to WRX sub frames down the road?

Thanks,

Matt

Well I have no way of knowing if they are bluffing or not. When he specifically looked up the struts/shocks he said they were listed as discontinued. As well as the bearings or gears for the transmission. If someone has a part number for the synchros or anything else id definitely try again. I tried looking at subaruparts.com or subaruwarehouse.com and other online 'subaru parts suppliers' but none of them even list part numbers for those items.

From what I have been told by others, Subaru does not support older models and all that is left is old stock for parts, even in Japan. I'd love to be wrong here, and if there is a way to order directly from Japan I would do so quickly.

Are Loyale parts close enough to order off Rock Auto? Usually Rock Auto cross references the part viability, meaning the struts/shocks for the loyale would show up under the RX section if they fit it, but they didn't for those.

I’m guessing that Subru’s don’t use brass synchro’s in there transmission’s, otherwise GL5 mt oil wouldn’t be recommended, would it? I know that for my Nissan truck transmission’s, it’s only GL4, because it does have brass synchro’s. What I use is Valvoline Syncromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Works great, smooth shifting summer or winter, even in single digit temperatures.

The synchros look like they’re brass, at least in colour, they could be some sort of alloy but really I don’t know. 

I do know that the early (and any phase 1 gearbox with other mods) EJ AWD drive gears fit in the EA82 front cases - BUT - and this is the catch for you in the states - the EJ internals MUST be the same spec as the EA82 front cases they’re destined to be fitted to. This means the dual range RX AWD box can use DUAL RANGE EJ drive gears. Just use your pinion shaft, EA centre diff and rear housing. 

The trick for you here is finding a phase 1 EJ dual range gearbox…

I’d suspect that many parts of the Gen 1 series 1 EJ gearbox are the same as the EA82 gearbox but really can’t be sure. 

Good luck swapping in WRX subframes, not an easy task if it can actually be done in a non-lifted EA body. The track would be heaps wider and would probably look odd too. 

Suspension bushes - there’s always an alternative out there, you just need to know what you’re looking for or know a good parts interpreter that’s willing to hunt around for you. Aftermarket will be the go here. Superpro or Nolthane would be my guess for possibilities. 

Struts - talk to a suspension mob and see if the can do an insert replacement or make struts that will accept an insert that’s easily available. Or convert to EJ brakes and have all the EJ strut options at your fingertips ;)  Good thing with this is you get better brakes and better rim options too. 

It all depends on how far you’re willing to go to keep the original drivetrain and look of the vehicle alive. There’s always some sort of a work around! 

If you go the WRX drive train you can keep the locking AWD with some gearbox mods. Basically you replace the  ring, pinion, centre diff and matching rear housing into the EJ gearbox you want to use. It doesn’t matter if the gearbox is dual range or not for this, but you are stuck with the (most likely 3.7) diff ratio your box has now unless you do a cut and shut on the pinion shaft to your desired diff ratio… 

^ this gearbox mod allows you to run the EJ standard flywheel and clutch setup with your EJ engine of choice while retaining your RX factory gearbox crossmember, shifter linkages and prop/tail shaft.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Bennie,

Do you know if the non dual range EJ series transmissions fit into the EA transmission housing? I have never seen an EJ dual range in the states, and it might be impossible to find parts for at this point too.

My main concern with switching to a EJ transmission (say out of a 1990-1998 legacy) is that the transmission gearing is going to be 3.9 or 4.11 - and my RX LSD diff is a 3.7.

If I were able to swap in the EJ gears/sychros at least those might be serviceable for a few years or I could order parts and shelf them for the future.

A slightly different option is Loyale transmissions are still readily available in junk yards and off of Ebay. Would it work to try and swap the internals from one of those into the RX case, just to renew the synchros and bearings? Sure the gearing might be different, but smooth shifting would be ideal, and I could possible keep the same 3.7 gear output of the transmission.

Either way both options are rather beyond my skill level. I could attempt it, but I might wait for the transmission to actually become undriveable first. For now I am going to try to flush the transmission with ATF for ~100 miles or so, then swap in some different MT gear oil and see if it improves.

Like you said the WRX subframe was kind of a shot in the dark - and at that point I might as well just swap vehicles entirely. The fun part about the RX is its uniqueness and styling, neither of which I want to loose.

Does someone know of a transmission shop in the states that is still rebuilding these older transmissions?

Thanks,

Matt

G’day Matt, 

The single range EJ gearbox internals will fit into the single range EA front cases AFAIK - unless there are differences in the input shaft bearing, which I don’t know for sure. You end up with the same diff ratio you have now as this is stuck with the locking centre diff due to the unique pinion shaft design.

With the PT4wd boxes you might be able to use the parts out of them but you can’t make it into an AWD box as the pinion shaft has the lower gear sets fitted to it, in the AWD boxes the lower gear set is fitted to a tube that the AWD pinion shaft passes through. 

I too had zero gearbox experience until I heard that the EA and EJ stuff swaps around - then I began playing with exactly that! Let me tell you that the AWD boxes are 1000 times easier to work on than the PT4wd boxes - simply because you don’t have to work out the dedent ball and spring mind maze of the PT4wd’s rear housing to remove it! Putting it back together is harder if you do the work over several weeks and forget the process… 

That’s where I started and have since played with the exact box you’re talking about - but it’s got some mods and the only thing original to the original locking AWD gearbox is half the pinion shaft, the locking centre diff and the rear housing. 

One thing I haven’t done is pressed gears off either lay shaft to replace bearings or synchros, which is what you’re wanting to do. If a shop does the work, expect to pay through the nose for their efforts. And make sure they know Subaru gearboxes! 

Now would be a good time to learn to rev match when down shifting to help the synchros out of you don’t already do this ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks Bennie. Well my fluid flush and fluid swap seemed to help it... a little bit. I have been thinking about it a lot, and calling around different shops, no one so far wants to touch something as old as this transmission.

I could try to swap internals, but I wonder how long something like that will last for? I'm concerned about it not being sustainable, and I'm already having problems with parts.

I will probably look to EJ transmission swap it, which looking on this website.... doesn't seem too bad. Have to shorten the drive shaft, custom mount the trans, and swap the diff to match. I'm going to keep an eye out on marketplace to see if a wrecked one of an ej with a blown motor shows up. Unfortunately I got rid of my donor car a few months back, could have used that.

Going to ride it out this winter and weigh my options. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hey whatever worked for you. I went with something a little lighter because of the Montana climate. I ended up using 3 quarts of 75W-85 Redline GL4 + 1 bottle of Lucas oil transmission fix. I mixed everything in the ATF can that I used for the flushing - so there's probably a little bit of that in the mix as well.

Like I said, it didn't fix the problem for me, but I do think it shifting better than the 75W-90 Extra HIPO Subaru Transmission oil. Who knows, could have been the flush that helped and the old (2k ish mile) oil was fine.

• 1 month later...

This site lists some syncros (balk rings) for loyales if you click on Leone AG4, (3 door), or AL2 (wagon) body style you might be able to at least get a part number if not find some stuff in stock.

A friend found syncros for an older toyota not available from toyota anymore and used them with good effect.

https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/subaru

On 10/31/2022 at 8:40 PM, 1980ea71Brat said:

Thanks Bennie. Well my fluid flush and fluid swap seemed to help it... a little bit. I have been thinking about it a lot, and calling around different shops, no one so far wants to touch something as old as this transmission.

I could try to swap internals, but I wonder how long something like that will last for? I'm concerned about it not being sustainable, and I'm already having problems with parts.

I will probably look to EJ transmission swap it, which looking on this website.... doesn't seem too bad. Have to shorten the drive shaft, custom mount the trans, and swap the diff to match. I'm going to keep an eye out on marketplace to see if a wrecked one of an ej with a blown motor shows up. Unfortunately I got rid of my donor car a few months back, could have used that.

Going to ride it out this winter and weigh my options. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks

EJ swap sounds like the way to go. 

When bolting an EJ engine to an EA trans you make or buy an adapter plate, I forget what happens when you do it the other way around.

Get one 3.9 final drive and keep your rear LSD.

EA rear diffs are a cake walk to swap to 3.9 so you can swap your 3.7 LSD to a 3.9 final drive really easy. I’ve done it. 

• Like 1

I live in the Caribbean area of the World and the Subaru Dealer disappeared years ago, wiyhout aftermarket support, I had to use other brands' car part, and I lifted and improved mine, to the point that the New suspension seems to be Bullet Proof, as the thing runs and has stayed Strong, like new, since years ago... Here you can read my Writeup regarding Suspension improvements, mainly for lifting a little and extra Duty / Load:

~► https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

11 hours ago, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

You've missed this Legendary Thread for sure:

~► (for USMB members, only)

Kind Regards. :)

I’ve seen that, forgot about it actually (I’m the next to reply on the next page!). It probably runs the EA82 gearbox too, but we’ll never know now I guess. 

If it has the stock EJ gearbox it’s probably one of the only ones out there like this, certainly a rarity! It’s 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

The EJ engine-EA transmission combination leaves a ~12mm (IIRC, because 1/2" is close enough at about 13mm) gap between the 2 bellhousings, which is perfect, as only the bottom studs line up, so the adapter plate to change bolt patterns also takes up the missing bellhousing depth.

The opposite combination would have the factory bellhousings hitting each other (not bolted up, because different bolt pattern), and the input shaft would be 12mm short of the flywheel. If you used a standard adapter plate, you'd need a 1" thick spacer for the flywheel.

BUT, he's already EJ engine swapped.

The EJ transmission is absolutely the way to go. The dual range in the RX transmission is a neat pub fact, but in practice, the ratios suck for just about anything (it was designed and built when the national speed limit was 55). Ditto with the lockable center diff (locked center is good for intense offroading, but nothing else). 

Get a phase 2 EJ transmission. I'd be looking for something with 4.111 axle ratios and a .738 5th gear will pull harder from a stop, and cruise better on the highway. The phase 2 VLSD center diff will handle better on the pavement, ice, snow and dirt. Keep your clutch type LSD, and swap it into the matching EJ case with matching ring gear. I put phase 1 EJ internals with the above ratios into my XT6 single range case and put it in my '88 XT6 about 10-12 years ago, it drove SOOOOOOOO much better!

Edited by Numbchux