Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Legacy Outback will not start, no fuel?

So I moved the car on Saturday and on Monday it will not start, sounds like the belt has snapped. But no, it has not.  Horah!  There is no fuel to the engine, it will start on 2+2 but not continue to run.  OK it must be the fuel pump, no big deal.  I buy a new fuel pump from Subaru, and today was the day to replace it.   Just for the heck of it I try to start it again and it fires right up and runs perfectly.   Car has 160K on it and the pump has not been changed that I know of.  

Any suggestions about what could have gone wrong the other day?   My wife will not drive it in case she gets stuck somewhere, so I need to make it reliable again. 

Help!

Thanks everyone,  Mark

Not enough info to speculate.  It may have been the pump that was acting up - intermittent, a dead spot in the motor, etc.

Behaviour like this is always difficult to debug (and unnerving for the drivers).  If it were me, I'd install the new pump and see how it behaves.  If it does the same thing again, it probably wasn't the pump.

no codes in the computers , so far.  Will the relay do stupid things like this?  I know where that is, it is a PITA to get to but it can be done.  I am going to drive it to work this morning and see how it runs.   My buddy is on stand by with the rollback. 

Change the pump and give it back to your wife like the local shop would. After a test drive with multiple shut down/restarts of course.  

Have AAA or equivalent? I sure do. All we drive are older Subarus. Stuff happens. 

Same as you my mind goes to that relay when these things happen and it seems intermittent, but it’s likely not that relay. History tells us so. 

Guessing you’ll be in work soon. Let us know how it went and how the coffee is today. Thanks. 

I spent a few min yesterday afternoon putting the new fuel pump in,  everything seems to be fine.  The next few weeks will tell, my wife has agreed that running it to her work and back will be a great idea, so everything is a plus for me.  Yeah!!!!!!

Thanks everyone, if something else pops up I will let you all know.

Mark

• Like 2