Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought 03 Baja and motor failed within 500 miles of owning and I had it replaced with Subaru crate moto,  within a short distance ( 100 miles approximately) she had a fuel delivery failure,  now both O2 sensors are both throwing codes along with power windows locks and sun roof which failed open of course yesterday, lol, yay 😒

I'm looking for information if this could all be related, perhaps a harness communication issue, computer or perhaps just all coincidence as it's 20 yrs old,

Chainsaw Dave , Thanks 

Vroom vroom 

Edited by Imprezafan96
Mistake

The locks, windows, and sunroof are not computerized on these models. They are relatively simple circuits - windows and locks all run through the master switch on the driver's door and if that's got problems then none of it will work. I've also seen rodents chew up wires under the passenger kick-panel and that cause all kinds of issues such as these - windows, fuel pump wiring, etc all run through the front/rear harness interface located in that area. 

O2 heaters..... maybe a fuse although I would need to consult diagrams on that one. 

We still don't know why the 30a fuse for the fuel pump blew. We have no evidence of a high current draw but the pump was replaced prior to any meaningful testing being performed so it's anyone's guess on that account. 

My money would be on rodent damage somewhere in the harness. I've seen a fair amount of that over the years. Especially cars that have sat for periods of time.

This is the kind of problems that make you crazy. I spent 8 months tracking down the wiring manufacturing defect in my M1079 (the Army truck you saw at the shop). I am quite sure the military was never able to fix it and that's why it had 1500 miles on it in the ~10 years they owned it and no meaningful maintenance was ever performed till I got it. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I had one instance of severe corrosion in the connector behind the driver's kick panel in the '02 Forester.  What made that particularly miserable to deal with was that it - as a US-market car (rather than Canadian) - it used a different connector housing than anything I could find up here.  I've run into that "different connector between the US and Canada" thing a few times, and it's a real PITA.

Edited by jonathan909

7 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

I had one instance of severe corrosion in the connector behind the driver's kick panel in the '02 Forester.  What made that particularly miserable to deal with was that it - as a US-market car (rather than Canadian) - it used a different connector housing than anything I could find up here.  I've run into that "different connector between the US and Canada" thing a few times, and it's a real PITA.

That's when you just cut out the connector and replace with Deutsch.

GD

7 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

If the Baja FP is like the OBW, could be a 'cap/o-ring' problem on the bottom of the pump assy.

No it had a blown 30a fuse in the under hood panel. It runs fine and obviously has good fuel pressure. The issue now is that a friend of the OP's replaced the fuel pump before doing proper diagnostics to determine both the failure (pump has no electricity due to blown fuse), and the reason for the failure.... at this point we have no idea if the original pump was the cause of the blown fuse or a wiring deficiency that has yet to re-occur. We test drove the car and had no issues with that fuse after replacement but we can't rule out a short somewhere that's caused by the right bumpy road or was prevented by the movement of harnesses and testing that was done over a period of like 9 months in someone's garage..... someone that failed to use proper diagnostic procedures and never found the blown fuse. At this point it's a matter of waiting till it happens again and crossing fingers that the pump was the problem. 

GD

• Like 1