Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Testing 4 pin coil on 1999 Legacy L 30th Anniv, 2.2.

Using the pin number assignments in the photo, on the 4 pin primary the ONLY resistance I can pick up is 80ohm between pins 1&3 and 3&4. On the secondary I am reading a hair over 10k. 
These are a far cry from any spec I’m seeing in any service manual. No visible damage, smells or otherwise. Is this coil junk?

E2E7F1F3-D069-4038-8639-C8627F8E6D96.png

What’s this data and due diligence? You’re supposed to say “my car shifted funny should I replace the coil?

Youre sure it’s a phase II 99 EJ22 and the proper FSM numbers? 99 is an odd year for EJ engines.  They have both earlier EJ and later EJ characteristics  

Did you have a code or codes?

Is there a reason you’re not confident the failed test means it’s bad?

No codes. Just rough idle and lack of power. Sometimes it runs fine, for a bit. Then rough idle and no power. 

Now when I unplug cylinder 2 when running rough the boot end is shooting sparks everywhere but the engine doesn’t change. If I unplug 1,3 or 4 it bogs down. I swapped plugs, NGK copper. NGK wires. The coil is an OEM coil.
I’ve changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, alternator, cleaned IACV, MAF, ran down the vacuum lines. Have strong fuel pressure on engine side of filter. Strong smell of gas in exhaust when it runs rough. Have O2 sensor and new IACV on the way but I feel like this isn’t it, car has unknown miles so these parts don’t hurt my feelings too bad that I’m shotgunning parts at it. Checking compression on #2 next.

Edited by joomanburning

7 hours ago, joomanburning said:

Testing 4 pin coil on 1999 Legacy L 30th Anniv, 2.2.

Using the pin number assignments in the photo, on the 4 pin primary the ONLY resistance I can pick up is 80ohm between pins 1&3 and 3&4. On the secondary I am reading a hair over 10k. 
These are a far cry from any spec I’m seeing in any service manual. No visible damage, smells or otherwise. Is this coil junk?

E2E7F1F3-D069-4038-8639-C8627F8E6D96.png

um, terminal 3 is not specified in that image... and not having the whole thing in front of me, wondering why you are using terminal 3?

terminals 1 & 2  and  2 & 4  should be 73 ohm, +/- 10% (80 would be just within that 10% range) - says nothing about terminal 3...

if you arent getting readings on the specified terminals, then yeah, i would swap out the coil pack,

Edited by heartless

I only went to the other terminals because I got a new multimeter and was curious. I started with what was in the diagram and then proceeded to probe around out of curiosity. 

The image above specifies 0.73ohm, and I am getting 80ohms across the above pins and NOTHING else. 

Compression checks out across all cylinders. All between 183-189. Plug on cylinder 2 was soaked in fuel…couple this with the lightning storm that came off the end of the lead when unplugged and the fact that the engine doesn’t run any worse when I pull that particular lead off and I want to believe it’s not the coil but maybe it’s just not pushing the required voltage and amperage anymore

edit- prove to probe 

Edited by joomanburning
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, joomanburning said:

only went to the other terminals because I got a new multimeter and was curious. I started with what was in the diagram and then proceeded to probe around out of curiosity. 

valid...

and because of the failed readings across the specified terminals, it does suggest the coil needs replacing.

personally, i would try going the used route before i would spend the money on an aftermarket unit... they dont fail so often that a used one would not be worth while... if you have any yards near you with available parts, you could take your meter with you and test on the spot - keeping in mind the +/- 10% range of that 73 ohms... (would be something between 66 & 80 on the correct terminals)
Not sure about other compatible years but you may have options there.. as long as the specs are correct and the bolt holes line up..  I put a 1990 coil on a 1995 Legacy.. worked perfectly.