Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/12/2022 at 6:00 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

Those cars have nothing that you can't read with a $15-$20 Launch C-Reader off Amazon. Nothing of any use anyway. 

I ask again - what specifically are you looking to monitor and why? 

GD

I’ll look into the Launch. As far as what and why I want to monitor- the whole car, and I was hoping I could find an answer to my 99 Legacy’s problems.

My problems started when the GF left the 99 Legacy in D and shut it off. Went for a walk around the lake. Couldn’t re-start it, obviously, because it was in D and then had a couple (?) people try to jump her unsuccessfully. Somewhere between when she ‘parked’ and when I get there she puts it into P, because when I arrived, it was in P. I jumped her with my truck right away, first try. She drives home, 100 miles through two pretty serious mountain passes (we’re in AK) and drives the car for a couple weeks, more passes and hundreds of miles, but there’s this new hesitation, a blip mostly noticeable at idle and sometimes near shifting when hard on it uphill etc. Since incident, gear selector (4EAT) doesn’t have the same click when I push the button to move it and the ignition tumbler won’t go to “lock”.
Problems started in with hesitation and got worse a couple weeks after this incident, quickly progressed to intermittent flat throttle under load, eventually falling into rough running and idle. It would start and run great after it sat overnight for a few days but issues would start all over again after a few miles. Now it’s tough to start and falls right to the shitty idle. It falls flat on its face and dies when you try to drive it. Exhaust hits hard, thump thump thump. Mileage unknown, Speedo intermittent since well before I owned, but showing 150k. 30th Anniv, 2.2. Idles and revving like it’s missing, whole block has a consistent shake, no codes besides a high input limit from the fuel gauge. 

It has NEW- oem front o2, fuel pump, excellent fuel pressure on engine side, fuel filter, battery, oem MAF, oem coil (spark visually confirmed at coil and plug gaps), oem IACV. PCV is perfect, recommended NGK plugs, new fuel filler neck, TPS checks out with multimeter, NGK wires, alternator, cats are good, good compression (181-185 across all 4, all plugs out and COLD, because I’m afraid of running it too long idling like it is). Good vacuum. I haven’t pulled the timing cover yet because the compression was so good. I replaced the timing system ~3 years ago with a Gates kit. Thinking of shotgunning the camshaft sensor, maybe the crank sensor while I’m at it even though I’m doubting either of those? Found a spare ECU for next to nothing I’ll try too if needed but before that I was hoping perhaps to solve it with a more advanced approach. I mean, I almost took it to a shop… god forbid. I’ve wiggled every wire harness I can find, I’ve tested the fuel, I’ve checked the returns. I’m stumped. 

Also would like the software for the new addition- Bought 08 GT Limited as all this was happening because, well I wanted a Legacy GT. I want to be able to interact with this car. I’m new to this side of things, I’ve always just used a multimeter and logic and done pretty well. I’ve been fixing my own vehicles for 20 years, but they were all from last century. This 08 (I know, that was 14 years ago, feels like yesterday) is a different beast and I’m absolutely interested in looking at the car through some better software available. I understand the risk associated, will do (due?) my diligence and take advantage of whatever resources available. 

so…

Is FreeSSM still viable? What if not? Com Cable recommendations? 

sorry for delayed reply, working my rump roast off up here 

Edited by joomanburning
Words