Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Legacy clutch friction disks breaking up

Eight months ago, the friction disk in the '96 broke: the middle broke off from the outer circumference. This week, the new clutch failed the same way. This is my son's car, and I've ridden with him enough to be pretty confident he's not stressing the clutch abnormally. This time and last, there was just moderate wear on the friction material, the sort of wear you're expect from 8 months of sedate driving.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing these repeated failures?

Or, we could wait for spring so we can get at the '99 with the manual transmission to swap in. I'm thinking now that if the next flex plate lasts 6 months, we'll have time to make the swap before the next breakdown. We'll call the gearbox shop up in Fairbanks for a quote on rebuilding the tranny, too.

Looks like we have to pull the transmission, take off the two back sections, split it, then we can pull the input shaft and get the bearings off? Have to get the preload right as we put it together? I've got way too many projects, don't have near enough time. We could pull the tranny and roll the car out of the shop and take the tranny north next week or so.  I'll see what my son wants to do.

There's no need to set anything - none of the existing pinion depth, lash, and preload are touched nor are they dependent on the bearing in question. You replace the bearing, possibly the thrust plate and put it back together. You'll want the few seals and gaskets of course and a new stack nut. Beyond basic hand tools all you need is a 35mm socket for the driven shaft stack nut, and a bearing splitter with either a press, or all-thread / H-puller, etc. Besides pulling the transmission and putting it back the whole process takes about 3-4 hours. I've done the whole job with transmission R&R in a day. 

There's really nothing else inside these that ever goes bad for the most part so a full "rebuild" is rarely warranted and usually means replacing just worn parts and seals anyway - which will be what I outlined above. Syncro's and the rest of the bearings will generally be fine, and if it's not popping out of gear you are unlikely to need any forks or other parts. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It has been popping out of 4th. We put it back together with a new friction disk, he's back on the road for now. We'll try fixing that issue another time, when I don't have a stack of things to do in the shop.

Will our '99 Legacy tranny work in the '96? Next spring we have to drag that into the shop and strip parts off it, anyway. That car had the DOHC engine, and not a lot of miles on it. The transmission is probably fine.