Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 Speed to 5 Speed Swap Kit? EJ Swap

SaltyMike

Hello everyone,

So along with doing my EA81 to EJ22 swap I will also be swapping out the 4-speed single range transmission with either the 5-speed dual range or a 5-speed full time AWD out of an RX, which from what I understand will bolt up exactly the same with the adaptor plate. I do understand though that regardless I will need to have custom fabrication done for both the transmission mounts and the transmission crossmember. I've seen something being tossed around these forums referred to as "Jerry's kit" for 5 speed conversions. I was wondering if this gentleman still makes these conversion kits and if they can also be used for doing 5-speed swaps along with an EJ swap or if they are specifically for doing a 5-speed swap while retaining the original EA series engine. 

PT4wd 5spd or EA AWD 5spd, the mods and mounting requirements are the same! 

There’s more than one way to do the 5spd conversion in regards to mounting - after all, it’s two gearbox mounts that are modified to fit the 5spd. 

The tailshaft will need to be lengthened or use the two piece with the centre bearing mounted to the floor pan of the MY. 

I’m not sure if shift linkages need to be modded to fit, memory (from reading) says not, just a mount to the floor pan at the base of the shift lever like the L series had. 

If you go the AWD box your diff stubs will be 25 spline. Your brat has the smaller 23 spline diff stubs. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 11/23/2022 at 8:26 AM, Numbchux said:

@bratsrus1is Jerry, although he hasn't been on here in years

Here's a post where he lists his phone number, 

But I think I saw a post on Facebook that he wasn't going to make the kits anymore....

Sounds like I may have missed the boat on this one :( I'll give the number a call next week though just in case. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

9 hours ago, el_freddo said:

PT4wd 5spd or EA AWD 5spd, the mods and mounting requirements are the same! 

There’s more than one way to do the 5spd conversion in regards to mounting - after all, it’s two gearbox mounts that are modified to fit the 5spd. 

The tailshaft will need to be lengthened or use the two piece with the centre bearing mounted to the floor pan of the MY. 

I’m not sure if shift linkages need to be modded to fit, memory (from reading) says not, just a mount to the floor pan at the base of the shift lever like the L series had. 

If you go the AWD box your diff stubs will be 25 spline. Your brat has the smaller 23 spline diff stubs. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Awesome, thank you very much!

Currently I have plans right now to have the driveshaft lengthed, I believe its something like 210-220 mm longer. Not sure about the shift linkages myself and I'll look more into that. If I have to go with the AWD gearbox I will but I would like to get a hold of the PT4WD one if I can find one. It would be nice to have the dual range option and the spline count won't be changed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I have 3 pictures of "Jerry's Kit" that I took right after getting it directly from Jerry years ago. The "Kit" is still holding the trans in my lifted '83! What is the easiest way to make 3 .jpg files available? I don't have any space here.

I have lots of old notes and some other misc pictures relating to the swap if you are interested.

Edited by Crazyeights