Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am trying to use the short block from an 01 Impreza in an 01 Legacy L, and i ran into a bit of an issue with the PCV and EGR set ups. The short block i am using has EGR, but the car doesnt, so, i am trying to verify what size the EGR tube threads are so i can get a plug for the head. I have heard M16x1.5, m19x1.5, and m20x1.5, so which one would be the correct one? The other issue is the PCV. One the old engine, it had the fitting in the pic circled in black in the pic. One the new engine, it had the PCV valve threaded into the block, with a single hose, so, does anyone know the thread size of the PCV valve? I need to get an adapter to hook up the hose set up in the second pic, since that is what the car originally had.

F9610E3D-9C9E-40A9-A0F8-1458C58BCDBF.jpeg

71yA0QAOEaL._AC_SX425_.jpg

HI, EGR is generally part of the HEADS not the shortblock. Shortblock being with out cylinder heads attached. Are you using the Impreza (2.2?) Long block = short block + heads?

Assuming you're using the Legacy intake manifold/IM since the EGR on the IM doesn't exist. 

Try the old engine's oil drain plug, IIRC that matches the EGR port. No, I don't know what size.

Also, note that the Impreza's cam triggers may not match your Legacy and need to swap cam gears/sprockets. 

RE: the PCV, I'm not familiar w/the threaded version so can't help other than to MacGuyer something. 

Edited by wtdash

35 minutes ago, wtdash said:

MacGuyer

I fuggin' HATE that word.  There were plenty of words and phrases to describe this activity (kludge, hack, jury-rig, etc.) that predate by many years that idiotic POS TV show, and anyone who uses it within arm's length of me can expect to get bitch-slapped without delay.

Edited by jonathan909

3 hours ago, wtdash said:

HI, EGR is generally part of the HEADS not the shortblock. Shortblock being with out cylinder heads attached. Are you using the Impreza (2.2?) Long block = short block + heads?

Assuming you're using the Legacy intake manifold/IM since the EGR on the IM doesn't exist. 

Im using the bottom end/long block from an EGR car, and the intake and wiring from the original engine.

Try the old engine's oil drain plug, IIRC that matches the EGR port. No, I don't know what size.

I read that from a couple different posts on here, so my plan is to do that when i get back to the car on Friday.

Also, note that the Impreza's cam triggers may not match your Legacy and need to swap cam gears/sprockets. 

That will present a bit of an issue, since the old engine was already out of the car, and the long block was already gone by the time they asked me to help with it. Hopefully a local U-Pull yard has an engine i can get the right ones from, if i end up needing them.

RE: the PCV, I'm not familiar w/the threaded version so can't help other than to MacGuyer something. 

That is my plan, is to just thread a nipple into where the PCV valve was, and then reconnect the PCV the way it was originally. I cant bypass it, because of emissions requirements where i live.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, jonathan909 said:

I fuggin' HATE that word.  There were plenty of words and phrases to describe this activity (kludge, hack, jury-rig, etc.) that predate by many years that idiotic POS TV show, and anyone who uses it within arm's length of me can expect to get bitch-slapped without delay.

I have to ask, which version of the show? The original or the remake?

• Haha 1

Not long ago I did a Legacy to Legacy swap with the same situation I think. 

Its M20 x 1.5 

I bought the drill and tap and tapped in the EGR line and also had the PCV conversion. Rick (GD here) confirmed all and directed me somewhat so there’s your base. 

Mind you now I just skimmed through and did a little ASSuming. 

Just found my old thread and posted below. 

Good luck. 

Edited by moosens

7 hours ago, biggman100 said:

I have to ask, which version of the show? The original or the remake?

I didn't even know they'd rebooted it.  If the premise is the same, I don't expect I'd feel any differently.

MacGruber, on the other hand, is quite alright.  Haven't seen the movie, just some of the SNL bits.