Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket rear gate lift support 2008 OB

Anyone have brand recommendation for aftermarket rear gate lift support (pistons) for 08 OB.

Many reference poor fitment, requiring metallurgical skills of a wizard to get them fit.

Rock Auto gets trashed for general customer service so I am looking to buy local.

Noticed a little weak the other day but today the gate is dead weight and one piston is oozing.

Using a 2x4 for support for now.

Rock:  as long as you have no expectation of customer service, they're the best going!  I've been perfectly happy with them since I figured that out.  I think to date the only thing they've really gotten wrong was the timing cover crank seal (alone, not part of a kit) that they sold me for the '01 H6 - it was simply too small for the hole in the cover.  Right part number, wrong fit.  It was unclear where the mistake occurred - with the part's supplier or with Rock - and their error-bot credited me back half the cost of the part.  Fine by me; not worth making a bigger fuss over a $5 seal that would cost $10 in postage to return.

So, customer service reputation aside, do they not have anything that fits and works?

only ever had to replace one set on a Subaru, and I think i used Strongarm brand. I personally did not have any fitting issues, but it is kind of a pain in the backside job to get done. LOL

if they are shot anyway, take one off so you can take it into your local parts store to match it up, paying special attention to the mounting ends.

on the subject of RockAuto, i cant say I have ever had a problem with them, either.. other than them not having a specific part i might want, lol, but that has little to do with them in general. some parts are just not easily available.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced one, once.   It was  a Sachs, quality name, not sure where I got it.  It fit fine.  The first time I opened the hatch fast, at -20 deg. C, it blew stuff all over, and didn't work anymore.   Good thing I still had the custom-cut bit of 1x2 oak still in the back of the car!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brus brother said:

Installation of Strong Arm brand complete. One of the struts received was apparently "open box" and already partially assembled and missing some mounting hardware. Doh!

i would seriously contact the seller about the missing hardware.. maybe you can get a partial refund?