Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone know if Land Rovers are actually reliable or not, or both?

Friends have bought used Land Rovers for pocket change, had numerous maintenance issues and joked that it's cheaper to buy another used one for parts than constantly order parts.  But on the other hand they have somewhat of an air of reliability because 'what else would you drive across Africa in?"   

Is it excessive parts and familiarity in Africa?  Is it just South Africa?  Maybe there was a particularly older model that was more reliable than modern mass produced models?  Or maybe they're more reliable than I think?

• 1 month later...

Ha we own that movie, great flick.  For some reason I don't recall those parts and must of missed them!?!

Land Rovers were assembled and parts manufactured in south africa starting back in the 50's or 60's and have well over a half a century of developing a strong network of assembly plants, parts manufacturing, supplies, and distribution.   So I think their excellent utility is supported by dependable networks more than strict individual reliability. Which, as an XT6 and H6 driver I might favor ubiquitous parts availability over reliability. lol

just a similar image from the net. Mine was painted lane-stripe yellow, at the time, all retired postal vehicles got ugly yellow paint.

the rear door was a segmented unit like semi trailers and garage doors are made. Collected a few bucks now and then hauling furniture for people. The throttle 'pedal' was an L shaped arm at floor level, you pushed it sideways with the inside ball of the right foot. The bake pedal was straight up-down. Has a 3 spd slush box (Ford?) in it. Under the windshield was a huge vent you could drop open so, even in summer, plenty of air if you were moving. The door slid backwards and would stay there. Had a 'safety' strap at about hip level so, you could drive around almost fully exposed on that side.

left-hand thread lugnuts on the left side IIRC. I MAY have a pic that shows mine in the background. I'll look for it.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

18 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

just a similar image from the net. Mine was painted lane-stripe yellow, at the time, all retired postal vehicles got ugly yellow paint.

the rear door was a segmented unit like semi trailers and garage doors are made. Collected a few bucks now and then hauling furniture for people. The throttle 'pedal' was an L shaped arm at floor level, you pushed it sideways with the inside ball of the right foot. The bake pedal was straight up-down. Has a 3 spd slush box (Ford?) in it. Under the windshield was a huge vent you could drop open so, even in summer, plenty of air if you were moving. The door slid backwards and would stay there. Had a 'safety' strap at about hip level so, you could drive around almost fully exposed on that side.

left-hand thread lugnuts on the left side IIRC. I MAY have a pic that shows mine in the background. I'll look for it.

That's awesome, sounds like a fun machine to drive at least for a bit!