Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pic test

• 2 months later...

Thanks ! That’s an Outdoor Sport edition 1994 with following generation 15” wheels. 

Continuing the story here in 2023 that lovely green wagon has just been re-registered which is a kind of big deal. The car was rear ended in 2021 and I’m still getting Chiropratic care for that. But the big deal ( my body doesn’t mean much because it’s just a life of self abuse) is that the car was totaled out by the offenders insurance but somehow I’ve eluded the State inspections etc etc. 

Maybe they’ll catch up to me but I was told back when I got the fat check that it may need inspection to keep on the road. Then someone said if I sell that car then the next owner will have to have it inspected. Bottom line is the State DMV sent me a re-register form and I quickly did it online and here I am with another two years of gen one Legacy ownership. Rock Da House ! 

There’s your story of the day kids. Stay outta trouble! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 5:32 PM, moosens said:

Bottom line is the State DMV sent me a re-register form and I quickly did it online and here I am with another two years of gen one Legacy ownership. Rock Da House ! 

That doesn't mean they might not find the error and cancel it later. I had a similar situation where I went to DMV in-person for a used car purchase and was given a clear tile, registration and tags. 3 months later, DMV sent me a notice that the car actually had a salvage title, tags were revoked and I had 14 days to surrender the vehicle to a state police inspection or never drive it again. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:32 PM, moosens said:

the car was totaled out by the offenders insurance but somehow I’ve eluded the State inspections etc etc. 

Maybe they’ll catch up to me but I was told back when I got the fat check that it may need inspection to keep on the road.

Do you think it slid through the covid cracks?  Our inspections were all screwed up due to COVID. Offices closed, no inspections of reconstructed vehicles for a year. They allowed local title companies to provide more services than normal and delayed/weren't enforcing any state inspections at all.  My inspection is 3 years expired and they aren't pulling me over with my ancient peeling off sticker.  I have inspection scheduled Thursday this week.

Also I've seen a number of times where the insurance/payout/titling/totaling process doesn't happen like normal. 

"Totaling" a car means the insurance company buys the car from you.  They pay you and take the car and title.  The title then gets branded however your particular state brands wrecked cars. If you do a buyback they give you the title back branded and you keep or get the car back.  Often times they don't acquire your car/title and just hand you a check, so no documentation happens besides just paying you. I find they'll act VERY QUICKLY (and thus skip those steps) if concise and I make it known I'd prefer to avoid lawyers if the situation is addressed reasonably. I've avoided them every time for myself and friends I've helped through wrecks with good results.  Or take the car, but not the title, then you do a buyback and they never follow through with title.  Whatever the case - the totaling/wrecked/title/branding/registering of wrecked cars through insurance often doesn't go the same way every time. 

I've found the insurance process is surprisingly not as regimented as other parts of the legal/DMV process. 

• Like 1

Do you think it slid through the covid cracks?”

No way of telling but it’s on the books so I’m happy. 

CT has been covering the low end car users for a solid three decades now. No physical inspection unless a major accident or value/cost situation like mine. Just emissions for vehicle 25 years and newer. And out of state cars just need a VIN verification which is just an employee looking through the windshield. 

Cheap SOB’s like me at least have it good that way here in CT. 

They won’t change much here regarding laws and policies because they need the working class service folks for the wealthy.