Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2011 outback that is leaking water in through the sunroof. I tried to slide it back to see if I can clear obstructions from the front drain holes, but I can’t slide the sunroof back. The left sunroof control, whIch is supposed to raise and lower the glass for ventilation, does nothing. The right control, which is supposed to retract the glass, just raises and lowers it for ventilation. Weird.

Then I realized that I don’t think we’ve ever even tried to retract the sunroof. Which begs two questions. Do I have a sunroof that doesn’t slide back? Is that a thing?

And if the sunroof by design does not retract, how can I access the drain holes to clean them out? Please don’t tell me I need to remove the headliner. 

It should be a full sunroof that slides back. Yours is just one right (it doesn't have a moonroof and sunroof dual does it, I don't think that's an option in 2011?).  The headliner should have an obvious formed portion beyond the sunroof where the sunroof assembly extends to receive the retracted sunroof.  

It should fully retract.

1: When you press the left button, the one that "does nothing", do you hear the motor try to do anything or it just does nothing?

The buttons/controls are probably the issue, not the sunroof.  May be able to fix them.

If the leak could be anywhere near the controls, that could even cause them to be flaky.  Dry it out and it may function fine.  

You shouldn't have to touch the headliner, the entire sunroof assembly is replaceable without removing the headliner.  

56 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

When you press the left button, the one that "does nothing", do you hear the motor try to do anything or it just does nothing?

It does nothing. No sound.

The buttons/controls are probably the issue, not the sunroof.  May be able to fix them

OK, but if that's the case, why would the right button raise the sunroof up? Shouldn't it only retract it?

If the leak could be anywhere near the controls, that could even cause them to be flaky.  Dry it out and it may function fine.  

I will try that, thanks.

You shouldn't have to touch the headliner, the entire sunroof assembly is replaceable without removing the headliner.  

Do you have a link to any instructions for how to remove the sunroof without removing the headliner? I can't find that on YouTube anywhere.

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

That doesn’t sound right to me! Every factory Subaru sunroof I’ve seen (admittedly not a 2011 model) requires the headlining to be at least dropped, this typically means the interior panels of all the pillars need to be removed as do the light and handle fittings. 

It’s not as daunting as it sounds, it’s more likely just something you don’t want to do - but if you want the best picture/gauge of the issues or health of your sunroof that is what you’ll need to do. 

There should also be drainage tubes that poke into the inner guards of each wheel - one for each corner of the sunroof. You might be able to get something long and plastic with a blunt end up these tubes to dislodge any crud that could be blocking one or more of these drainage tubes. To do this you will need to remove the plastic inner guard liner. 

Alternatively the cheap fix is to duct tape around the top of the sunroof to close the gap.

All the best with it! 

Cheers 

Bennie

23 hours ago, idosubaru said:

i would like to see instructions for that as well...

FSM says headliner (they call it "roof trim") needs to be removed... so yeah.. please do tell

Okay, remove the headliner and map lights.  Apparently they differ across years/models.  I've removed trim between headliner and sunroof and the bolts are accessible under the headliner and through the sunroof assembly itself  If the sunroof doesn't move at all, that may inhibit bolt access for some. On some models you remove the light fixture up front and there's an access to manually move the sunroof.