Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Throwout Bearing Source

I have a 1983 Subaru Brat with a 4MT dual range 4WD transmission but long story short I have no idea what year the engine or transmission is. The transmission is a little questionable but the throwout bearing was definitely going bad so (with some effort because I don't consider myself a mechanic) my dad and I replaced it with a new one I got from autozone. It lasted about two weeks and now I need to replace it again. I've been researching how to get a good quality throwout/clutch release bearing but I'm having trouble digging up a source/and or part number. As far as I can tell the internet does not think this part exists for a Subaru before 1985. A lot of the ones I've found online that might work have this cover or something over what is presumably the bearing, and I'm not sure what's up with that. I got the one from Autozone because it looked like a bearing, but after it went bad I went back to read the description more closely and it says it is a general purpose bearing. I'm hoping if I get the right bearing it will last longer.

I happen to have an extra (bad) bearing on it's carrier/assembly/whatever and I took a photo of it in case it helps. The bearing has an inner diameter of 35 MM. Anyway, if anybody could point to a source for the right bearing I would greatly appreciate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20230127_203840607.jpg

You likely got the TO bearing for the early “Loyale”.

Thats for an EA82 engine which is the OHC 1800 as opposed to your EA81 which is OHV 1800. 

From the Beck Arnley catalog I can see you need their part number 062-1125 

I would search ebay for that - Beck Arnley Subaru and the part number or just type in clutch release or throw out. 

The original part number from Subaru is 43151 7000 which your local parts guy likely won’t find. There is likely a supersede number. They like to add letters to the part number carrying them forward. I’d guess they threw an “AA” in there but that’s it’s own story. 

A little additional info:

228mm NOT 200mm clutch size

Plenty of covers on ebay. And pressure plates too. 

Best of luck with it. I’m guessing the the correct bearing will result in many miles like your original have you. 

Enjoy ! 

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

Last time the bearing went out it took it's time and just kept getting louder. This time it happened a little more quickly and more dramatic, and I had trouble getting it into any gear except second to get it home. So I'm hoping I just need to replace the bearing again and everything else is fine. I actually replaced the clutch and plate a couple years ago when I swapped the automatic transmission for a manual (that crapped out a couple years later), and we are getting unfortunately too familiar with dropping the transmission now. I'm also trying to source a pilot bearing and I'm going to try and replace that too. It seems like the pilot bearing is easier to find.

This is my fourth Brat and I've had more trouble with this one than the other three put together. I guess that might have something to do with it being almost 40 years old. :-)

PXL_20230103_152444043.MP.jpg

• Like 2

That’s one pretty Brat ! 

If dad didn’t clue you in don’t forget the synchro wear and the dreaded third gear (firstly) and also pedal box flex from cracking off the clutch side near the pivot pin. 

Have either of those yet with your other rigs ? 

Thanks! The pedal seems firm and the transmission is a little sloppy in general but I figure that is normal for the age. Third is a little tough to downshift into though, is that what you mean?

I've done a little work on it and (when it is running good) I really like driving it. I hate newer cars with all the sensors, computers, and screens. There are still a lot of little things I want to do on it (like refurbishing the bumpers and wiring up the lights up top), but since I got the big stuff done I'm kind of happy just driving it as is. In a couple months I'm moving out of the country and I'm probably going to be selling it.

• Like 1

Scroll down this thread and see the pedal box repair one or more guys did. That will explain and guide you. 

The third gear synchro issue is mostly with shifting into third but as time goes on it’ll start popping out of third. Then second and fourth when it gets awful. 

With the amount of 80’s 4WD Subarus out there still I’m kind of surprised nobody has run off some batches of synchro rings. What are they - brass ? Or something soft. 

Best of luck with your move. 

Like for the fixing of bits and getting the brat to where you want it. But I’d also give you a dislike for moving OS and selling!! 

10 hours ago, moosens said:

With the amount of 80’s 4WD Subarus out there still I’m kind of surprised nobody has run off some batches of synchro rings

No need to - just have them bead blasted to rough them up again and they’ll work like new. 

But then again, for that amount of effort on the 4spd no one that is in a right frame of mind would consider going down that path. Get a 5spd a fit that in. 

Cheers 

Bennie

21 hours ago, moosens said:

Scroll down this thread and see the pedal box repair one or more guys did. That will explain and guide you. 

The third gear synchro issue is mostly with shifting into third but as time goes on it’ll start popping out of third. Then second and fourth when it gets awful. 

With the amount of 80’s 4WD Subarus out there still I’m kind of surprised nobody has run off some batches of synchro rings. What are they - brass ? Or something soft. 

Best of luck with your move. 

Thought this would interest some here:

https://www.diehl.com/cms/files/Synchronizer_Rings_Brochure_2020.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out it is not a clutch release/throwout bearing, it's the transmission itself. After dropping the transmission (again) the pilot and release bearings seem fine but the transmission itself is hard to turn. So, am suddenly in dire need of transmission #4. The only place I can think of to buy one is on Ebay and I'm not sure which one might work. I would entertain any 4WD that might work, 4MT, 5MT, or whatever. Some options are:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185700120903

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266110131434

So there are many references to a thread that outlines how to replace the stock 4MT transmission with a 5MT/EA82 transmission but all the links are busted, and searching for it seems to time out. Does anybody have a good link to that thread? For anybody in the future trying to research this I have learned a few details about it.

The good news is the 5MT transmission will just bolt onto the engine. The bad news is that is pretty much the only good news. You need several parts from a donor car (clutch, clutch plate, shifter, maybe some rubber boots, and maybe the 4WD drive shaft. And on top of that it looks like you need some sort of custom mount, and there used to be a guy who sold a kit for that but as far as I can tell he hasn't logged in for a few year.

Seeing as how I do not have a donor car, as much as I would like to put in a 5MT unless somebody has a better idea it looks like my best bet is to find another 4MT transmission and hope for the best. I'm also considering putting the existing transmission back in and selling as is because I'm not sure what other options I have right now.

Hi, i can shed a little light, the guy who used to do the mount kit was name jerry, had a place called brats r us in washington state,he is still living and retired, maybe would provide a mount kit. what is needed to do the 5mt, the 5mt clutch disc, and throwout brng, your ea81 pressure plate, the shifter set from the 5mt, the ea81 trans crossmember gets modified, the rubber mounts from the 5mt crossmember, both side ones and the one in center. the 5mt is shorter, requires longer 1 piece driveshaft to be built. jerry made mods so inside your vehicle everything looked/worked as original. 

If you should decide to sell as is, price range ?

• Like 1

If Jerry can(not) still modify the 4MT cross-members to fit the 5MT - this I don't know. But last time I talked to him (10+ years), his phone number was 5o9-nine5two-2eight5five.

The 5MT swap process is relatively straightforward. Transmission, clutch kit, clutch fork, and flywheel come from the 85 to 89 5MT dual range. You can have a single-piece driveline made, or make a mount for the 5MT center carrier. Jerry's cross-member is simply a modified 4MT cradle with 5MT mounts on it. The 4WD linkage rod has to be lengthened by 1", and will otherwise bolt on. The 5MT gear shift linkage needs a mounting point (stud or bolt) fitted to the floor pan to hold up the back of it.

It's been done hundreds of times. I've personally done probably 15-20 of them. I have Brat at my shop right now that's got an EJ22 and an XT6 full-time 4WD 5MT in it. It's all actually really simple. 

4MT's are hot garbage. Put no effort toward them. It will be wasted. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So to make a very long, very sad story short, it turns out the transmission is as good as can be expected for being 40 years old. The problem was the clutch cable had seized. Apparently sitting in a field for 10 or 15 years tends to degrade parts. I just wish I had thought to check that before the transmission was temporarily separated from the vehicle.

Next up: Vacuum leak, then rear shocks. After that I'll have to check my list.