Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone it’s been a long time since I’ve needed to ask for advice! I currently am working on a 09 forester xt i picked up cheap with a slipped timing belt. Drivers side exhaust valves are bent. I picked up a pair of good second hand heads but they are pre secondary air pump. I see this is a common delete with this engine but my big question is, will it run without having the ecu reprogrammed? I understand i will have a CEL. I will get the reprogram done but I need it to at least be able to drive out of my shop and the 25 miles to home. Thanks all in advance for the help!

dunno for certain but, my total guess is , very likely to start and run.

I had to kill 12-16 codes with romraider/ecu flash to fix similar issue with my wrx.

on some cars, there is an air  pressure  temp sensor in one of the air cut valve modules so, watch for that.

generaldisorder, and maybe others will know the details

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

It will run as long as you retain the atmospheric pressure sensor from the control valve - the one with more electrical connector pins. This sensor is used for altitude compensation of the fueling calculations. 

Having said that - it would have been trivial to just drop in a new set of valves and keep the car compliant to it's federally mandated emissions equipment. The EPA is not kind to those they target for violations of the clean air act. 

GD

• Like 1