Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pricing closed deck ej22T 

Only thinking about a project. That’s it. Only dreaming. 

So what’s this worth in your opinion? Keep in mind this is in the NYC area and there’s no shortage of spoiled kids with too much money. 

From posting on C’list:

F/S is a 2.2 turbo engine from a 1994 legacy sedan. The engine was removed complete including the harness, turbo, part of the downpipe, etc. This is a rare engine being the only closed deck 2.2 and factory turbo 2.2 besides that of the 22B. Donor car was an automatic and indicated just over 88k miles. The engine currently has a 02+ WRX crank gear and modified EJ22 cam gear so it can be ran with a 02+ WRX computer - the original gears are included.

Also available are several harnesses, computers, etc for swapping this engine into a newer chassis, beetle, whatever.

This is a hard engine to price, make me an offer

Thanks for any opinions regarding price. Cheers! 

It’s an interesting one to ponder - are you building something that historically had this block or are you looking for all out power that would need that extra cylinder bracing? 

And that’s the other thing - you can get newer blocks and add bracing to the cylinders to essentially make them a closed deck block. Look at what the fellas with the high horse power turbo engines are doing and take notes from them. Many say the closed deck block isn’t needed, I believe the EJ207 is only semi closed deck and that is a high revving engine and a strong unit to boot. 

It come down to that old adage - what’s it worth to you? You really need to look at what you’re going to build with it, do you need the closed deck block or is it a bit of wank factor/street cred? 

I can’t put a price on it. We didn’t get them over here in Oz but I know 20 years ago blokes were importing them from your neck of the woods for high HP builds as the engines typically used now were yet to be released or cost too much as a base to start with. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Building an EJ22t to be stout is more expensive than a brand new EJ257 block, which has thicker main bearing supports, #5 thrust bearing, nitrided crank, and better cooling being semi closed. So the smart people aren't looking for the 2.2s anymore.

There was a guy in England buying short blocks for like $800 for his hill climb car, because he was sleeving, converting to phase 2 crank, etc., but even that was like 10 years ago.

The heads are garbage, for any performance application

What I would pay for it, would depend considerably on my intended use. But I can't imagine spending more than a couple hundred bucks. If I had a stock turbo Legacy that needed an engine, I would pay more for a complete engine.

• Like 1