Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber question: DGEV vs. DGAV

Guest Vickaroo

The "E" is an electric choke, "A" is a water choke. I would definatly go with the electric choke. Do you have power steering??? If so, then you will need to run the carb turned around 180º. The pro of them is, easy to work on, more torque, look cool. The bad is poor fuel milage (with 28" Swampers anyways) and if you live in a Smog Nazi state you will have to work out emmisions (can and has been done). Hope this helps a bit, Tim

You will also require an adapter plate to mount it on your manifold because the bolt holes do not match up. That runs about $30. You might come by an look at a few setups. I live in Bothell and there are a few others with that setup that would be glad to "show it off."

Yes, that is correct. Soon as someone on the board tells me the "size" of the bolt pattern(I want numbers, like 36mm or something like that) then I can have the person selling the weber make an adapter for me. I just have to decide wheter to get DGAV or DGEV.

Thank you for your advices so far.

Dan

I paid like $25 for my EA81 adapter from bow-wow... In my opinion its easier to buy it from them than to have someone make it and have the risk of it not fitting.
I don't worry about him making one that won't fit. I just want to know the pros and cons of the webers, plus size of bolt pattern(in numbers please)

Thanks

Dan

The Electric choke works more efficiently, and uses the same wire from the old Hitachi.

The water choke will require plumbing of AF from somewhere and add more hoses to replace.

Stick with the Electric or manual (DGV5) carb and you'll be better off. Tim

I don't worry about him making one that won't fit. I just want to know the pros and cons of the webers, plus size of bolt pattern(in numbers please)

Thanks

Dan

If you can't find the dimentions here, go to the parts store and get a base gasket for both carbs. Your going to need them if you make the switch anyway.

There is no difference (between the carbs, or the bolt pattern), and the guy making your adaptor plate already knows the bolt pattern of a Weber. He probably wants to know the bolt pattern of your existing carb, which I think is a carter/weber single barrel. Ask carfreak to ID it for you.

As for pro's/con's, there really aren't many, because the type of choke you use depends on what you want. Personally I like the electric choke because it's easier to install, and less messy. The water choke is much more accurate, as it's warming curve is controlled by the engine's temp, and not some arbitrary heating element. Other than that, the carbs are identical.

GD

I have no idea what the bolt pattern on the CW single barrel is. You're best bet is to get a Hitachi manifold instead - they are plentiful, and you can just grab an adaptor for $25 from bow-wow, instead of bugging cameron about making one for the CW manifold.

Also we don't know for sure what carb you have - you need to have carfreak check to make sure of what carb you have on there now. We can't tell you the bolt pattern unless we know what carb you have now can we?

GD

First of all, I'm not bugging him. He is the one who asked me what was the size of the bolt pattern. Secondly, I already asked carfreak85 about this, and he told me he's not sure. He also told me the best way to find out about the size of the bolt pattern is to ask board member.

Thanks

Dan

I only have DGEV's, that started life as DGAV's. Plus a few manual chokes. Water choke is too hard to fit. The question I ask is that lepetitprince be absolutly sure that it is a hitachi 36x71mm base as that is what I ausme it will be. I have no experiance with the carter/weber single barrel that some people have. I supply a base gasket with the carb so it has to be correct or someone will get a few parts they don't need.

GeneralDisorder, I am seeing if I have time to run another off for you. It may be a while as Brians' is still be machined. Keep me posted if you still want one.