Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey freaks - 

I'm looking to source the correct fuel pump for my 96 Legacy Outback. I've searched the forum and haven't found any concrete answers yet. Basically rock auto lists what seems like a few different options and I'm hoping to get pointed to the correct pump.

• rock auto lists a 1.5" diameter pump and a 2" pump.
  • Both of these options come in a plug style pump or threaded terminal style pump.

I'm hoping someone can point me to the correct diameter and correct electrical connection. I haven't pulled the pump yet. The car is sitting at a restaurant up the road where it died. No option to pull the pump and check it out for a few days.

Any help would be appreciated! If someone could post a link to a correct pump that would be sick.
Car currently has a 2.2, but I believe it came with a 2.5.

Thanks,

TJ

So you’re wanting to show up back at the restaurant and hope to do a quick swap there and drive away ? 

Your choice but I drive nothing but older cars so I have AAA Plus - some years I use all allotted services. 

I recall similar issues that era. As I recall you can always use the smaller one in place of the larger. But I’m a user and abuser and not a mechanic. 

Get both and return the unused ? 

Look up your exact vehicle year model on a Subaru parts website. They have a “Fits these models” button that shows all the vehicles that share the same part. This really helps show what the delineation is  

Pull the hose at the fuel filter to diagnose a bad pump in less than 3 minutes. Very easy. 

Fuel Pump Relay under the dash is also a possibility.

Check for voltage at the pump connector under load.  

You can jump the pump there with a battery as well.

If you get a pump, get a Subaru Pump, after markets are pretty much junk.

@moosens @lmdew @idosubaru

thanks for the replies. I got the car back to my house. Then I opened up the panels under the carpeting in the trunk to access the fuel pump and sending unit.

think it's either of these?

RIGHT SIDE FUEL PUMP (lol no one has been in here)
IMG_4008.jpg.63d0a0122d7b7433efa670774cbbf260.jpg

LEFT SIDE FUEL SENDING UNIT (my fuel gauge also never reads correctly....wonder why...lol)

IMG_4009.jpg.aba4a8dbdc4fb978804208491a6aa846.jpg

lol at the mud dauber nest thats in here and acorns. Seems pretty obvious what the issue is....

IMG_4011.jpg.5706601e8491bd7583dc7d30de8e0cd3.jpg

I'll be ordering a new pump and sending unit after I pull these two out and document the process.  I'll post updates when I have them. Basically car died going down the road after repeatedly cutting out and stumbling intermittently around 50mph. It has been cutting out in the last few months, but nothing as bad as right before it died. I tried to turn it over and it would run for a bit on the extra fuel that was in the line, then eventually it would crank, but not turn over at all. More soon.

Cheers!

TJ

Edited by YnotDIY

15 minutes ago, YnotDIY said:

wasp nest

IMG_4011.jpg.5706601e8491bd7583dc7d30de8e0cd3.jpg

mud dauber nest. They paralyze a spider. Stuff it down each hole and lay an egg on it. The baby hatches and eats the paralyzed spider. 

There’s a rubber gasket under each lid. Have a replacement gasket or back up tube of sealant for triage if it rips. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lmdew said:

Aftermarket Pumps are junk.

Exactly.  used Subaru pumps have higher 3 year survival rates than a new aftermarket. I would never install aftermarket unless I had an uncanny reason.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

FUEL PUMP SIZING and RESULTS

Thanks for the advise with this one everyone.  I pulled the fuel pump and measured it.

The pump for my model 96 legacy outback 2.2 5speed Manual is the 2" pump with screw on terminals.

Here's the rockauto link to the one I purchased ->  96 legacy outback fuel pump

It's an aftermarket pump so I might be kicking myself for not going OEM soon, but I figured it was worth a shot!

I installed the pump and the car started right up! Took it for a little test drive and it's doing great!

thanks again,

TJ