Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For those who have Jerry's 4 to 5 Speed conversion kit... How have you mounted the gear shifter?

I now have the 5 Speed D/R transmission in place with Jerry's conversion kit on my '82 Brat. Only problem I've found is that I cannot find a place to mount the gear shifter. I've had no problem with the 4x4 linkage because its held secured between the transmission and the high/low shifter in the interior. On the stock 5-Speed, the shifter is mounted on a bracket that also mounts the 4x4 shifter, however I cannot fit that as it will interfere with the driveshaft. I've talked to Jerry himself about what he recommends, but he mentioned mounting it via studs located along the transmission tunnel that I could not find. I don't want to burden him with anymore phone calls from me. I've thought of drilling some holes into the side of the transmission tunnel to create some kind of custom bracket, but I figured that I would post a picture and ask here before I go doing any of that.

IMG_6672.jpg

I realize where you’re at but Jerry is a great guy and out there in the Cascades so I’m sure he can make a little time for you for one more inquiry. 

Hoping I get to shake his hand again this year. But that’s another story. 

Sorry , I don’t bother with much modding at all so I’m no help. But you made a good move getting away from the four speed. My opinion. 

Good luck. 

The gear lever arrangement needs to sit up a lot higher, just saying in case you haven’t realised already. 

Just out of shot at the top of the pic is usually a single stud that’s unused. This is where you’d make a plate to mount to this stud and the two studs on the bottom of the gear lever as seen in the pic. 

The L series used a bracket that had a rubber bush built into it to reduce drivetrain noise transfer to the body too ;) 

This is one conversion I’ve not done yet but believe it to be a very worthwhile swap. You’ll lose the Massey Ferguson highway tractor vibe and feel like you’re actually driving a modernised vehicle. 

Cheers 

Bennie

16808345685477898979435341446688.thumb.jpg.94f9c27f3c97b7942b1b8a5aa0d43688.jpg hi, the pic you show is what is a 2wd shift bracket here in usa, the 4wd bracket is a little different, going to try and post a pic from the oem parts book for 85-89 era. ea-82. page 3-D17 & 3D16 show the pic for each version. there is a rubber cushion piece that bolts to the bracket, and then to the tunnel on a stud that is said to be there, i hope mine is since i have yet to find time to install my kit yet. the 2wd & 4wd shifter bracket and the cushion mount are different from each other. i could only load the 4wd parts pic, i think it is on here. hope this a little help.

hi,. i just looked again and realized you are not showing the lower mount bracket,, what is in your pic is the actual rod that goes to the shift rod in your trans. there is another lower bracket( mounts on trans) at that shiney alum spot on your trans, then another rod that connects to it and goes back to the shift pivot cup, mounts with the 2 studs on the cup. then the rubber cushion piece also boltsto the rear of that bracket rod piece. Check the pic i posted, i think its clear enough to make out the parts, click on it to expand. 

Sorry , i may be wrong about your pic being 2wd  parts,, i was looking at the other rod bracket, but,, both shift rod brackets and the bracket that goes on the trans are different for 2wd or 4wd,  so basically you gotta have all 3 parts for a 4wd to work right, all from an ea82 setup.

Edited by Rupart

On 4/6/2023 at 11:08 PM, Rupart said:

hi,. i just looked again and realized you are not showing the lower mount bracket,, what is in your pic is the actual rod that goes to the shift rod in your trans. there is another lower bracket( mounts on trans) at that shiney alum spot on your trans, then another rod that connects to it and goes back to the shift pivot cup, mounts with the 2 studs on the cup. then the rubber cushion piece also boltsto the rear of that bracket rod piece. Check the pic i posted, i think its clear enough to make out the parts, click on it to expand. 

Sorry , i may be wrong about your pic being 2wd  parts,, i was looking at the other rod bracket, but,, both shift rod brackets and the bracket that goes on the trans are different for 2wd or 4wd,  so basically you gotta have all 3 parts for a 4wd to work right, all from an ea82 setup.

Hi Rupart,

I think that this picture shows the lower mount bracket you're referring to. The parts diagram you posted labels it as 20. The bolt hole you see to the left towards the rear of the bracket is one of the two holes that mounts the 4WD high/low shifter. The two studs on top on the bracket are for the electronic mechanism that will display on your dash what mode you are in, but I don't place on wiring it.  

I figured that I would have to keep this bracket as it allows for the 5 speed shifter to be mounted, but keeping it there will not leave any room for the driveshaft, even when I move it as far up and out of the way as possible, therefore I removed it and it's why you can see that really shiny area of aluminum on the transmission.

Do you have a picture of that rubber piece that bolts to the bracket and then to a stud on the tunnel you're referring to? 

IMG_6642.jpg

On 4/6/2023 at 8:34 PM, el_freddo said:

The gear lever arrangement needs to sit up a lot higher, just saying in case you haven’t realised already. 

Just out of shot at the top of the pic is usually a single stud that’s unused. This is where you’d make a plate to mount to this stud and the two studs on the bottom of the gear lever as seen in the pic. 

The L series used a bracket that had a rubber bush built into it to reduce drivetrain noise transfer to the body too ;) 

This is one conversion I’ve not done yet but believe it to be a very worthwhile swap. You’ll lose the Massey Ferguson highway tractor vibe and feel like you’re actually driving a modernised vehicle. 

Cheers 

Bennie

This new picture I just posted shows that unused stud that I believe you are referring to. I've been told about his rubber bushing, but I don't think my transmission came with one when I mounted it. There was one that went between the two bolts holes you can see in the lower bracket, but it was a part of the 4WD selector, and since Jerry's kit allows me to use the Brat's stock selector, I just unbolted it. Additionally, the lower bracket leaves no room for the driveshaft. 

hi, i see what you have there. The parts book i posted from is 86-88, #20 is the rod/bracket i had mentioned, note how it is bent to offset up and to the right at the rear of it, and the shifter cup studs go front to rear in it.   Also note the front end of it with bushings, that go on a stud on bracket#26, which mounts to the trans at that shiney spot we mentioned. The rubber cushion bracket is#19, it bolts to the rear of #20,, and the long end of it is supposed to go on that tunnel stud.

Edited by Rupart

ok, i just looked at my shifter set, the upright flanges that are in your 2nd pic are the pivot flanges for the ea82 hi-lo shift lever mount,, you can remove that,, it is no longer used.  the other tab sticking out the back, is one side of the rubber sandwich bracket,, the missing rubber and longer side are gone,, the longer tab is what would go to the tunnel stud.  by taking off the orig 5spd hi lo mount tabs allows the main rod to go up a good bit.  i tried to buy a new rubber bracket from subaru, "discontinued", also not able to find one in aftermarket parts, so no advise there.  the rubber part is about 1 inch thick, and the lower tab is longer and 2 bends, and a hole in the end to reach the tunnel stud. Looks just like #19 on the parts page pic.

On 4/8/2023 at 9:11 PM, Rupart said:

ok, i just looked at my shifter set, the upright flanges that are in your 2nd pic are the pivot flanges for the ea82 hi-lo shift lever mount,, you can remove that,, it is no longer used.  the other tab sticking out the back, is one side of the rubber sandwich bracket,, the missing rubber and longer side are gone,, the longer tab is what would go to the tunnel stud.  by taking off the orig 5spd hi lo mount tabs allows the main rod to go up a good bit.  i tried to buy a new rubber bracket from subaru, "discontinued", also not able to find one in aftermarket parts, so no advise there.  the rubber part is about 1 inch thick, and the lower tab is longer and 2 bends, and a hole in the end to reach the tunnel stud. Looks just like #19 on the parts page pic.

Thank you so much,

I'll reach out to the guy that I bought the transmission from, maybe he has a piece laying around. Maybe I can use the metal tab that extends rearward in my picture and mount it that way? The rubber would definitely be nice to have to reduce vibration and noise though.