Ultimate Subaru Message Board

connecting Igniter, ignition coil and distributor

EA82T Ignition components

kindly this is my EA82T ignition section which has been messed up, I am trying to reconnect the wires from the module. There is the Blue and Black/white wire pair towards the distributor, and the Black white Wire and Black red pair directly under the ignition coil. The car is Subaru Leone 1.8T 1987 model, and the wiring diagram isn't clear on this Thanks edsaisam@yahoo.com

sorry about the use of words and thanks, I believe the Ignition control module (ICM) and igniter refer to the same thing. My car Vin AL7.011866 is an 87 model, the igniter is on the coil bracket, so I believe the system should basically be the same with little variation. I need (1) to identify the pulse wire from the control unit under the steering to the igniter at the coil.(2) the wires from the ignition coil to the igniter and tachometer.

In the diagram for the coil, there is no igniter shown or referred to, from memory it is all attached ?

for 87 USDM XT, may not be same as non XT !!!!!!!!!!

Lucky for some, there are only four wires at the coil, and two are BW 

The pair that are WY and BW

WY goes to WY at ECU. Two wires both WY at ECU, pins 37 & 43 

BW to BW at ECU pin 19

The pair that are BW and plain old Y

The BW goes to (radio?) condensor which has a B grounding wire also

The Y of this pair goes to the tacho in the dash cluster. Y all the way to dash pins by the looks

PART_1681711481637_.jpg

Edited by Steptoe's photos

now, due to the complex differences in wiring of the distributor of the 1987 models, there was a change mid year, can you look at the part number cast into the side of your distributor ? I think the first part may be 22100 AA , and the variation is in the last three digits. I am expecting either 410 or 450 , yet also prepared for something close ....

I am starting to wonder what version of three or four EA82T you have there.

Does your distributor have a vacuum advance canister on the side? That would make it Series 1 (1985, 1986 models in several countries)

Flapper style air flow meter (series 1)

or hotwire , cylindrical air flow meter (series 2 flat manifold, series 3 spider manifold)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

hello Steptoe sorry I shelved the recovery of my Subaru to work on another project out of town. am now back

This is a Subaru leone 1.8  turbo EA82T engine.  The ECM is four plug. Rats chewed up wires and pipes around the Distributor,the

ignition coil, and the igniter. I need help identifying which wire connects which terminal so I can crank the engine. much thanks

OK. I have not looked in here for some time myself. There are two part numbers for four plug ECU and no vacuum unit due to optical system inside and ECU takes control of the spark advance and retard. I do have some diagrams for the US EA82T in the XT, so likely the same for it and any other 4 plug ECU equipped mpfi (which USDM may not have got many, other than in XT4. I will try to get back to you and your rats, in good time

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 3:50 AM, Masai said:

hello Steptoe sorry I shelved the recovery of my Subaru to work on another project out of town. am now back

This is a Subaru leone 1.8  turbo EA82T engine.  The ECM is four plug. Rats chewed up wires and pipes around the Distributor,the

ignition coil, and the igniter. I need help identifying which wire connects which terminal so I can crank the engine. much thanks

It might help if you can describe each plug and list number of wires and use the colour codes to identify them, where you are stuck.

On 10/22/2023 at 6:16 AM, Steptoe's photos said:

OK. I have not looked in here for some time myself. There are two part numbers for four plug ECU and no vacuum unit due to optical system inside and ECU takes control of the spark advance and retard. I do have some diagrams for the US EA82T in the XT, so likely the same for it and any other 4 plug ECU equipped mpfi (which USDM may not have got many, other than in XT4. I will try to get back to you and your rats, in good time

I am most grateful. As for the rats I have biologically allowed a control and eliminate friend to represenent me and the subie called Mr cat. thanks

9 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

OK, worked out I have already supplied diagram and description for the coil. Have they been checked and confirmed as OK?

the coil is tested okay, . May know where you sent the diagrams please

15 hours ago, Masai said:

I am most grateful. As for the rats I have biologically allowed a control and eliminate friend to represenent me and the subie called Mr cat. thanks

It will take a hungry and bored cat to actually detain a rat from what my hoarder mate has experienced. Rat poison baits do not need to be fed at all :)

It has taken me a while to accept that Subaru 1987 do not call the distributor as such in their diagrams for wiring.

The wiring all refers to the duty of a crank angle sensor.

My diagrams show black, round connector of four wires.

Red goes to ECU 7 which is also red at the ECU end

Black goes to ECU8 which is also black at ECU end

White goes to ECU 17 which is also white at ECU end

Black/red trace goes to ECU 10,20 and 30 if ATrans looks to be the main grounding connection for ECU and all it's sensors and for shielding wire grounding - grounding is preferable to be grounded at ECU says an electrical engineeer friend

10 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

It has taken me a while to accept that Subaru 1987 do not call the distributor as such in their diagrams for wiring.

The wiring all refers to the duty of a crank angle sensor.

My diagrams show black, round connector of four wires.

Red goes to ECU 7 which is also red at the ECU end

Black goes to ECU8 which is also black at ECU end

White goes to ECU 17 which is also white at ECU end

Black/red trace goes to ECU 10,20 and 30 if ATrans looks to be the main grounding connection for ECU and all it's sensors and for shielding wire grounding - grounding is preferable to be grounded at ECU says an electrical engineeer friend

Thank you, very clear am most grateful. 
Kindly similarly illustrate wires to the igniter and the ignition coil

as I have several wires whose destination is not clear. Am attaching pictures

for clarity.

Also find attached a unit under the front left side seat, I don't seem to know it neither its function.

ecm.jpg

lose wires and free round clip.jpg

lose wires.jpg

wires to Distributor.jpg

found under front left sear.jpg

Just now, Masai said:

Thank you, very clear am most grateful. 
Kindly similarly illustrate wires to the igniter and the ignition coil

as I have several wires whose destination is not clear. Am attaching pictures

for clarity.

Also find attached a unit under the front left side seat, I don't seem to know it neither its function.

ecm.jpg

lose wires and free round clip.jpg

lose wires.jpg

wires to Distributor.jpg

found under front left sear.jpg

on the ECM which is pin 1 and what is the order. Thank you

On 4/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, Steptoe's photos said:

In the diagram for the coil, there is no igniter shown or referred to, from memory it is all attached ?

for 87 USDM XT, may not be same as non XT !!!!!!!!!!

Lucky for some, there are only four wires at the coil, and two are BW 

The pair that are WY and BW

WY goes to WY at ECU. Two wires both WY at ECU, pins 37 & 43 

BW to BW at ECU pin 19

The pair that are BW and plain old Y

The BW goes to (radio?) condensor which has a B grounding wire also

The Y of this pair goes to the tacho in the dash cluster. Y all the way to dash pins by the looks

PART_1681711481637_.jpg

if i quote this, it may show up included diagram as a latest post ??