Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 Subaru GL 4x4 steering rack suggestions

My steering rack has taken a beating over the years and now has a lot of slop on the driver's side. It also leaks fluid like crazy from that side (as expected with all that play). This car has a 4" suspension lift and 3" crossmember drop. We use it for mild 4wheeling locally.

What is the best route to fix this? Replace the rack with a stock EA82 power steering rack? Is there some alternative rack that is a little stronger?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
21 hours ago, newmexguy said:

These cars are not "nose heavy".  Is power steering really needed?    

It makes the vehicle feel much sportier as you can effortlessly throw it into corners with PS vs the manual rack! 

MHO anyway. 

On 4/26/2023 at 6:19 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

if you can fit a 'modern' rack in there, the STis (like maybe 05, 06) have a quicker ratio, like 15:1 . check cars101.com for when that started/other years....

Has this actually been done though - fitting an EJ rack to an EA82 engine crossmember? I know it doesn’t work on the EA81’s.

Cheers 

Bennie

12 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Has this actually been done though - fitting an EJ rack to an EA82 engine crossmember? I know it doesn’t work on the EA81’s.

Cheers 

Bennie

Don’t think so. I mocked one up. The tie rod lengths are whack and mess with steering and the input shaft angle is wrong. I think GLoyale (I forget his exact new user name Fer…something) talked about this tie rod issue and using EA81 tie rods on EJ racks…I think. Also, my bigger issue was it will not pass through the cross member without cutting into the cross member or some other significant adaption to avoid the different offset angles of the input.  One could get a picture of them side by side probably to see that difference. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Well, the time is near to take on this project. I have a questions that hopefully you guys can answer. I may buy a rack for a newer outback (newer than EA82's) but I'm trying to figure out bushing measurements. Also, the side-by-side would be great to see input and bushing/line location differences.

Can anyone compare where the bushings AND lines are located on the EA82 racks with EJ racks? Specific info about years/models would be appreciated. I'm hoping someone has those cars parked somewhere and can just run a tape measure on them...