Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this original Subaru "sealant"?

The 2008 Outback XT engine I'm rebuilding is put together with this red sealant (see photos).

I'm wondering if someone has been into this engine before, or if it is factory sealant.

Pay no attention to the 1946 Cadillac Flathead motor in the background on the first photo. It's for a hot rod project I put on hold to get this Outback back on the road for my daughter.

Subaru Sealer1.jpg

Subaru Sealer2.jpg

and when people talk about Threebond - there are quite a few to choose from. I only just found mine last night, trying to sneak out the door on it's own :) 

1104, you come back here right now !  It is a runny, highly pongy, grey sealant that needs an overnight to set.

Curious what other numbers youse use

That is Subaru sealant that's been used at the dealer level. That's Threebond 1217B and at one time was the Subaru recommendation for transmission pans as it is particularly suited to ATF. It's VERY hard stuff - we call it the pink concrete..... some dealer techs liked it because it rarely leaks. 

1217b has been superseded by 1217h for all applications. 1217h is grey. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 3

On 4/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

That is Subaru sealant that's been used at the dealer level. That's Threebond 1217B and at one time was the Subaru recommendation for transmission pans as it is particularly suited to ATF. It's VERY hard stuff - we call it the pink concrete..... some dealer techs liked it because it rarely leaks. 

1217b has been superseded by 1217h for all applications. 1217h is grey. 

GD

Pink Concrete is a pretty good description. Even getting the oil pan off was a stubborn SOB. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to split the engine cases that are glued together with this stuff.