Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bouncing off Rev Limiter with CVT...What's Wrong?

Hello Everyone,

I was passing someone the other day and when I floored it, the RPMS went up as usual, then kept going until the rev limiter was engaged.  The engine bounced off the limiter until I let off the gas which took a couple seconds to figure out what was happening...the car is an automatic after all.  2014 Forester 2.5 Premium.  130k on the car as of this morning.  The car never did it again over the next 1500 miles.  Car runs great otherwise.

Recent work:

differential oil changes (Amsoil)

CVT oil change (Amsoil).  I followed the factory procedure and put in approximately 5.5 qts.

New short block 12k ago.

10 hours ago, ronemus said:

Did you bump the shifter into the manual gate?  Unless you were on a steep downhill grade with a tailwind, you shouldn't hit the rev limiter in top gear.

It doesn't have the manual option, only a low. It was not in low. I was on flat ground doing a out 80mph. I assume something malfunctioned I'm just not sure what and if it can be remedied or if imanent failure is in the future.

That's around the mileage we start to see these fail at. Probably a sign of what's to come. The last 2013 Legacy we did a CVT on was a total failure at 135k. Wouldn't even move. 

Sell it while it still moves and you can get a reasonable return on it before it needs an $8k transmission. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

11 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

That's around the mileage we start to see these fail at. Probably a sign of what's to come. The last 2013 Legacy we did a CVT on was a total failure at 135k. Wouldn't even move. 

Sell it while it still moves and you can get a reasonable return on it before it needs an $8k transmission. 

GD

Is there a way to further diagnose it? Or is this guaranteed failure?

When I did the last fluid change, it was dark but relatively clean (no debris or metallic shimmer).

• 2 weeks later...

While sitting at a stoplight the other day, I noticed the car felt like it was slightly rocking forward and backward while in drive with the brakes on.  It was almost as if the torque converter was trying to engage and move the car forward. It was very subtle, but still noticeable. It cycles about every second. There was no wind, but felt similar to wind blowing in a car.  RPMs were stable at idle. AC is off.

Another sign of failure? The car has never done it before.

Edited by Daskuppler

On 4/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

GD

eight grand ??

On 4/28/2023 at 11:04 PM, Daskuppler said:

Is there a way to further diagnose it? Or is this guaranteed failure?

When I did the last fluid change, it was dark but relatively clean (no debris or metallic shimmer).

well, what does dark say to you? In old school auto trans thought, this means the fluid has either been in too long or cooked. Did you sniff it for a burnt smell ?

4 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

eight grand ??

4 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

well, what does dark say to you? In old school auto trans thought, this means the fluid has either been in too long or cooked. Did you sniff it for a burnt smell ?

It has 25k hard miles on and was the Subaru blue CVT fluid. Did not smell burnt.

And yes, 8k for a replacement. I called two different stealerships; both within $100 of 8k.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Steptoe's photos said:

it is well worth investigating if the problem is repairable before replacing the whole thing. In the earlier days of electronic gear changing of auto trans, I have seen a few cases of issues remaining after a reconditioned unit installed. Bad power supply found to be the cause

I agree.  I'm not about to just order a transmission and put it in, unless there are other signs or codes start to pup up.  I know these units are not really serviceable apart from the valve body and oil changes (which I've done every 20k since 40k miles).

I'm tellin ya - sell that albatross while it still moves.

RIGHT NOW you can sell it and cut your losses. When it fails? What's your prognosis financially? The ONLY course that makes sense given the reputation of this transmission is to get rid of it NOW. Gambling in Vegas probably has better odds IMO. 

If you look at the sum total of my experience - go back and look ay my posts from 10+ years ago - 15-20 years ago even. I was an EZ Board member of this forum when I was just a kid in my 20's with no money and a $400 Subaru. I've been AROUND ya know? 

You really think I got here without (once upon a time) being a fan of the Subaru design, engineering, and in general their simple construction and being friendly to repair and service? 

At this point I check in here from time to time - mostly to marvel at how much the tables have turned and to warn others of the writing on the wall that I see on a daily basis owning and running a Subaru performance/repair shop. You think it's good for my business to rag on the brand? Be grateful that I don't care. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

I'm tellin ya - sell that albatross while it still moves.

RIGHT NOW you can sell it and cut your losses. When it fails? What's your prognosis financially? The ONLY course that makes sense given the reputation of this transmission is to get rid of it NOW. Gambling in Vegas probably has better odds IMO. 

If you look at the sum total of my experience - go back and look ay my posts from 10+ years ago - 15-20 years ago even. I was an EZ Board member of this forum when I was just a kid in my 20's with no money and a $400 Subaru. I've been AROUND ya know? 

You really think I got here without (once upon a time) being a fan of the Subaru design, engineering, and in general their simple construction and being friendly to repair and service? 

At this point I check in here from time to time - mostly to marvel at how much the tables have turned and to warn others of the writing on the wall that I see on a daily basis owning and running a Subaru performance/repair shop. You think it's good for my business to rag on the brand? Be grateful that I don't care. 

GD

It's not that I question your statement. I actually appreciate your brutal honesty.  I'm just curious what's actually happening, not that I question if it will fail.

What would you buy if you were buying a new car (5 years old or newer)?

2 hours ago, Daskuppler said:

It's not that I question your statement. I actually appreciate your brutal honesty.  I'm just curious what's actually happening, not that I question if it will fail.

What would you buy if you were buying a new car (5 years old or newer)?

Based on reliability history, experience, and resale value I would pick the Toyota 4Runner or Tacoma/Tundra hands down. They are still available relatively trimmed down and simple, they are bulletproof, and they hold their value:

https://caredge.com/toyota/4runner/depreciation

Toyota has a host of other models also and don't seem to suffer (as much) from the foolishness that has plagued Subaru in the last decade. And overall they hold their resale value at least as well. Without adjusting for inflation you can practically drive a 4Runner for free these days - selling it after 5 years for nearly it's new asking price. 

Subaru is a puppet of Toyota and with the trend toward electric vehicles Subaru really has no technology to offer - leveraging Toyota for that space. Going forward they have nothing to offer other than a brand image. Once you go electric you no longer need the mechanical symetrical AWD, and the boxer engine is just an old gas burning relic. Toyota will milk the brand for it's image and toss the husk. Watch and see. 

GD

• Like 3
  • Sad 1