Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The brown , plastic "main relay" 25229AA001 specifications ??

also interesting to see some listings suggest that this relay is a fuel pump relay for some Subaru models, and a glow plug relay.

Ferret54's suggestion of the intermotor relay - it shows as rated at 30A - I seem to recall Toyota Landcruiser diesel glow plug circuits are 80A.

a supersession part is 25232AA020 according to one website, and curiously, offered at about half the price of 25229AA001

Edited by Steptoe's photos

• 2 weeks later...

follow up on my local searches .....results are why I am back looking at US for stuff. The RY-56 comes up in rock cat, and lists off a few Subaru part numbers including the ones I know. Then, in the actual Forester section for 1999, ignition, relays, there is a brown ignition relay that states these RY688 also have added short circuit protection - assuming diode or resistor built in. In Aussie dollars they are 25 for the RY-56, and about 40 for the RY-688

Partsouq has the first part number 001 as unavailable but were $US25ish (plus postage) and the 020 at just under $US17 plus postage - which usually starts at $US17 to Oz. It’s worth adding other bits you need to the order. Warning: it’s dangerous ;);) 

I’d say many of the Subaru EJ setups use this relay design across the range up to some mid to late naughties model IF they changed how they do things. They rarely fail and there’s plenty of them out there. 

At the end of the day, you could probably open the relay up to clean the contact points and go again ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

Take a look at the pics for this 91 Lego FI relay:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=934156&cc=1269446&pt=3300&jsn=389&jsn=389

Jideco is printed on the body.

Don't go with the black plastic Intermotor relays. I've had 2 fail - one had broken contacts after less than 2 yrs.

Intermotor is the foreign car line of SMP(Standard Motor Products) SMP used to include Blue Streak products.

• Thanks 1

hello czny, long time no hear :)

I went for precisely this relay , out of a choice of two that actually came up as ignition relay of all things, for the 1999MY Forester.

Their product description including precious metals and short circuit protection had me sold.

Thanks for the buyer experience review. I appreciate it, and trust others will at some stage into the future :)

The terminology chosen for relays by Subaru for this era may not have been the best. An example is that this is the "main relay" yet really seems to power up the injectors and sensors, and ECU nothing really "main" when the bulk of other power demanding things are considered. The "ignition" relay seems to be mainly for items off the IGN position of keyswitch, not the actual ignition of the fuel that I kept reading it as. The ignition coil comes direct off the back of the ignition switch - no relay involved.

Listings for these relays call them ignition relay whereas my ignition relay are the cylindrical, aluminium cased 22A jobbies.

Edited by Steptoe's photos

Got my order in from the US of A in five days ! The ignition relay as Rock call it, for the SF Foz actually came as what I suspect is a superceded number of the later years . 25232AA020 made in China, despite the export order stating country of origin as Japan. The yellow part number sticker, and JIDECO cast into the casing. Mitsuba also on yellow label.

My 87 GL wagon uses this same relay DPST(double pole single throw) ignition circuit control.

Like I posted above, the black plastic Chinese relays fail prematurely.

Last time it happened I was 35 miles from home on a rural road out of cell reach. 🤬

Ignition was cutting out intermittently but more frequently until contacts broke off inside the relay.

3 yrs now & no problems with these brown relays. (Now I've jinxed it.) ;)

L Series also had these ? I have stripped out 4 L Series , an XT, all turbo except one carby, and never found a brown relay , up to 1989 - they were all the 22A cylindrical ones.

Interesting. I also have a spare brown one from a wrecked 00 Impreza in use now, and it has 249,000 km use, also 01 Foz 140,000 km so always saw them as being Ej body items, yet some listings for these brown things did indicate some earlier applications

3 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

L Series also had these ? I have stripped out 4 L Series , an XT, all turbo except one carby, and never found a brown relay , up to 1989 - they were all the 22A cylindrical ones.

Interesting. I also have a spare brown one from a wrecked 00 Impreza in use now, and it has 249,000 km use, also 01 Foz 140,000 km so always saw them as being Ej body items, yet some listings for these brown things did indicate some earlier applications

Yes, my 87 GL wagon 4wd spfi d/r has this relay above the ecm next to the fuel pump relay.

• Like 1