Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all happy mom's day.

Trying to get the svx going good and I'm having problems with my cooling fans. I wired the two wire fans with direct harness ground to the ground of the fan. The other three I merged to the power wire of the fan. This may have been a mistake, I found a diagram and one of the relays is called fan ground. I was going to use the aftermarket two wire fans but am now trying to fit the oem fans in now because I want the check engine light off. If anyone has successfully merged a two wire fan in place of a four wire fan I would like to know how you did that

two wires wont work correctly...

one fan is for engine cooling (relies on signal from temps sensor)

the other is for when AC is in use (relies on input from hvac system)

you wont get a two wire fan to run correctly on a 4 wire system, it just wont work right.

If the schematic you provided is correct, one of the three wires you have joined together is sometimes a ground connection depending on the ECU cooling commands activating those 5 relays. An on/off connection through the "GND" relay is what allows the cooling fans to have a choice of three speeds due to selectable windings inside the fam motors. At a minimum, you have to eliminate that connection to have any hope of the fans operating when any of the other 4 relays are commanded into action by the ECU. 

In one cooling fan situation for me (due to the ECU cooling fan transistors being dead) it wasn't ideal but I bypassed the ECU and OEM relays entirely and installed my own fused power feed directly from the battery through a separate heavy-duty Bosch fan relay. I then tapped into an "engine run" wire to activate the relay whenever the engine was running. It was not ideal but worked fine until I could swap the ECU and return to the OEM fan setup.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the fans to work by not using the aftermarket ones, had to take apart some belts and pulleys but the oem fans work fine with the ac pressure switch connector jumped. 

The oem fans pull 3 different wattage all more than the 80w that each aftermarket fan is capable of, I'm glad they fit with the aftermarket radiator.