Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fan, blower not working

i changed my compressor today ,charged my ac ,eveything was fine until the fan quit working , i checked the fuses all good , everything else works fine , dash lights, lights, radio, cigar lighter, dome, map, power locks, , what else should i check ? blower motor?

If you have a voltmeter or a test light you should check to see if voltage is getting to the motor while the speed control is set to high and the key set to accessories or ignition on. If you have voltage then you need to fix or replace the motor. If you don't have voltage then check the wiring and the speed control switch for a problem.

I have an 82 ea81, but same problem, hopefully the same solution. There was a glass fuse to the left of the ecu, mine was so old it had fallen apart, didnt burn out, just came apart into 4 parts. Once I replaced that fuse the fan worked fine again.

If you have a voltmeter or a test light you should check to see if voltage is getting to the motor while the speed control is set to high and the key set to accessories or ignition on. If you have voltage then you need to fix or replace the motor. If you don't have voltage then check the wiring and the speed control switch for a problem.

dont forget about checking for good grounds too.

I dont claim to know all about AC, but if there is air in the system there is a sensor that will shut it down? You may need to purge the air out.

But remember to read the disclaimer above.

the blower motor is on a seperate ciricit. a/c charge will not effect blower operation.

It would be easier to check for power at the blower motor connection first. Hopefully getting to the motor connector is fairly simple. This will tell you if the motor is really getting power or not.

If you have some lamp cord handy you could rig up a jumper cord to just apply power to the motor to check it. Checking for voltage is easier though I think.

It would be easier to check for power at the blower motor connection first. Hopefully getting to the motor connector is fairly simple. This will tell you if the motor is really getting power or not.

If you have some lamp cord handy you could rig up a jumper cord to just apply power to the motor to check it. Checking for voltage is easier though I think.

Jim:

I dont think it's the dash switch or the resister pack. You could test the switch by bypassing it. A faulty resister will give you one speed only.

My guess is a fuse (possibly inline) somewhere in the circuit, or possibly a problem at the A/C connection.

Cougar's reccomended tests (at the blower motor) will cut the toubleshooting down to size in a hurry.

Good luck, John

jim, do you mean the blower fan in the car or the fan on the radiator? maybe with the fan being hardwired with the key to begin with,(thats how it was when jim got the car) and now the ac wants to kick it in, there may be conflict with the circuits.

i say this because on the dl, the fan was hardwired, and we hooked it up like it was supposed to be when we worked on it, and now the fan comes on with the ac when its supposed to, or when its hot, instead of all the time.

i suggest on the sedan hook up the fan and thermoswitch like its supposed to be stock, and then do your troubleshooting from there

suppose the ac has leaked out. danny charged his and it leaked, had to replace the o-ring. leaked again, it was the schrader valve on the ac line. he replaced it with opne off the sedan. the core from a tire valvestem will fit the same, but the seals on them are orange, wheras the ac's was grey in color.

if it indeed had leaked out, you may as well replace the o-rings at the compressor or the valve core(or all)

I have an 82 ea81, but same problem, hopefully the same solution. There was a glass fuse to the left of the ecu, mine was so old it had fallen apart, didnt burn out, just came apart into 4 parts. Once I replaced that fuse the fan worked fine again.

Is the fuse holder up behind the dash with a white wire running to it?? I have the same problem but the fuse holder had melted. I was wondering what amp of fuse did you replace yours with??

Thanks.

well the lines are all good , because when i recharged the ac i had to release all old free-on and there was plenty in there , when i have time i will fix the electric fan to come on like it should , i think i will take it to my shop and have them use a vacuum ,and get all the junk out of the lines and start over , all my fuses were good

Is the fuse holder up behind the dash with a white wire running to it?? I have the same problem but the fuse holder had melted. I was wondering what amp of fuse did you replace yours with??

Thanks.

I seccond spinners post... when I had it all apart to do my wiring troubleshooting, I figured that stupid inline fuse couldn't possibly be for the blower motor - figured it was for the hack-job stereo wiring that'd been done... why the hell would it be, in 82 they switched to push-in-fuses... grrrrr at subaru for that one.

- Erik Hosa - Tacoma, WA -

i changed my compressor today ,charged my ac ,eveything was fine until the fan quit working , i checked the fuses all good , everything else works fine , dash lights, lights, radio, cigar lighter, dome, map, power locks, , what else should i check ? blower motor?

A very common problem with Suby fan motors is resistor pack usually located near the blower motor inside the vent to help cool it. Higher resistance=slower speed. Important yes, but it only functions if power is switched to it. If you have a schematic you will also see a blower motor relay. It is not located under the hood next to the A/C relay. It is inside the car on the drivers side, left of the st. wheel. It won't be too hard to recognize. It'll be the one thats hot/discolored.