Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 RX Turbo Cyl 1 and 3 not firing

Please Help!!!

Vehicle - 1987 RX Turbo

Problem - Cylinders 1 and 3 are are not firing

Background The pld motor was bad so I replaced it with a low mileage junkyard motor. I used my old intake manifold and every thing attached to it(ie. injectors, tps, etc...). I also used my old alternator and A/C compressor. I did replace the head gaskets and timing belts on the "new" motor.

I am getting spark to cylinders 1 and 3. I also check compression and all four cylinders are showing good compression. I also replaced the sparkplugs to check for bad or fouled plugs.

I dont know if it is getting fuel to those cylinders.......how do I check to see if the fuel injectors are working? Any ideas on what my problem might be?

Thanks,

Gregg

If you crank it over a few times then remove a sparkplug, you should be able to tell if those cylinders are getting fuel. Are you sure you got the timing right for the belts? (I had to ask)

It could be that the belt was put on when the cam was in the exhaust cycle, not intake (compression).

When I put on the timing belts I believe I missed one step.......please tell me if this could be the problem.

I put on the drivers side belt and aligned the center mark on the flywheel and the notches on the timing belt pulley. The step I missed was rotating the crankshaft one revolution before installing the passengers side belt. I just lined up the notches on the passenger side pulley and installed the belt.

I am trying to figure out if this makes a difference??????? Does anyone know? I sense that I am about to kick myself. :-)

Yup, start kicking :banghead: First of all, when you start this process, the crank needs to be lined up with the 3 small marks on the flywheel. These are not the timing marks. When you see the timing marks, keep turning the flywheel (CW) till you see these 3 lines. After you install the right side (driver) belt the crank needs to be turned 180deg. You need to make sure the left side (pass) valve train is at the compression stroke, with the dot on the cam at the top.

This will put the right side cam mark pointing down. Now you install the left belt, and it should fire right up. If you havent removed the Disty, it shouldnt take much to time it. To make sure you have the drivers belt on right, just make sure the cam mark is pointed straight up, and that the 3 lines on the flywheel are showing.

According to the manual the crank has to be turned 360 (not 180) degrees after the drivers side belt is installed before installing the passengers side belt. Can you verify this?

And yes, I am having an rump roast kicking contest with myself right now. :-)

Eh, my bad, been a long day. The FSM says to turn one full turn CW (360). The flywheel marks and cam sprocket are supposed to be in their normal positions, cam mark up and flywheel marks (not timing marks) centered.

Edit...This is for only the left side, once you determine if the right side is on correctly.

According to the manual the crank has to be turned 360 (not 180) degrees after the drivers side belt is installed before installing the passengers side belt. Can you verify this?

And yes, I am having an rump roast kicking contest with myself right now. :-)

there is a little short cut that makes this a bit easier. if the left bank is aligned with the cam marks up and the crank at the three little marks. just install the right side with the cam notch aligned facing down. there are marks on the bottom of the cam covers also to help you with this.

yeah I missed that step the first time I did one too. has to be a really stupid procedure. all to keep the cam sprokets interchangable I guess.

I know the drivers side timing belt is installed correctly. Is there a way to line up the drivers side timing belt with the 3 marks on the flywheel and the timing belt gear notches lined up without removing the timing belt cover? Or perhaps I can just remove the passenger side timing belt cover and rotate that camshaft 180 degrees by losening the tensioner? Basically I am trying to do this with removing all components on the motor (ie, crank pulley, cooling fans, A/C, alternator, radiator, etc...)

Any quick fix ideas?

Thanks for all your help folks.

line up the driver side cam to 12:00 and the 3 marks. what you can do is remove the passenger side belt cover. unbolt the cam sprocket and remove it(to slip the belt off). now thread pulley and bolts back in, turn the cam to 6:00(with the other cam still at 12) you will have to fight the spring tension from the valves, but you can "balance" the cam at the 600 position. now you can slip the belt back onto the pulley, and then tighten the 3 bolts. if the tensioner was already adjusted you will not have to loosen it to begin with(if you prefer)

here is some procedure for timing belts if you want to see where you may have went wrong

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

I just removed the passenger side belt cover and loosened the tensioner. I slipped off the belt and rotated the crank one full turn. I put the belt back on and all is well with the world once again.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Gregg