Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing Navigation System for 2005 Outback has become somewhat of a nightmare

I recently purchased a 2005 XT Turbo Outback with the idea that having a navigation system installed would be a snap. It has turnedout to be somewhat of a nightmare. Several places turned down the job, saying because of layout of the dash it would be too dificult to install. The Subaru Company would offer no help on ideas at all. I personally think Subaru missed the boat by not offering a Navigation System in their 2005 models. The one company that spent alot of time and help was Car Toys of Bellevue outside of Seattle. Daniel Kim the manager was very helpful. I choose the Pioneer AIC-N1 Navigation. The whole thing is going to run alittle over $3000. It is going in this week end. I will keep you posted on how it turns out. Once you have had navigation, it is difficult to do without it. I got rid of a lexus to buy a Turbo Outback. And quite frankly I like the Subau better than the Lexus. The Lexus had more gadgets, and felt more like a boat. The Subaru has instant power, and drives somewhat like a sports car. With the Subaru I feel like I am the one that is driving. With the Lexus it was the other was around. It was driving me.

OnStar was offered with H6 since '03. Did they drop it now? If it's available, H6 with OnStar would probably cost less than $3000 over XT.

I think they did do away with OnStar, which is a GM product. Don't forget, OnStar is a subscription based service and there is the possibility of yourself being monitored, like having a "Big Brother" watching over what you are doing in the car.

A GPS navigation system gives you voice and visual feedback throughout your travel, where the OnStar system only connected you to a operator who will give you voice instructions. There's no visual feedback.

I'm told the JDM 2005's have a nav system, but so far it is only in Japanese. If you look at the one in the 2005 Nissan's thery look like they are a bolt in for where they should be on the Legacy's. That would make since because Nissan provides a lot of electrical stuff to Subaru.