Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester check engine light on

I am leaving for a trip in a few days and the check engine light comes on yesterday( soild, no blink). I took the little plastic filter off thats in the emission line and shot some carb cleaner thru it and the light went away for a day, today its back on. Checked and cleaned the gas cap no change.

I really dont know what to do. I took some of the hoses in the diagram off and made sure they were clean,cleaned the pcv valve and checked the small electrical connections that are on the side wall passenger side area. The diagram shows a cannister but I cant find one.

Can I still go on vacation with this light on? The car runs fine , have not noticed any changes. Anyone have some ideas on what to try, I have done everything that I can/ what seems obvious to me to check but it has not helped. Thank you to anyone who helps.

I am leaving for a trip in a few days and the check engine light comes on yesterday( soild, no blink). I took the little plastic filter off thats in the emission line and shot some carb cleaner thru it and the light went away for a day, today its back on. Checked and cleaned the gas cap no change.

I really dont know what to do. I took some of the hoses in the diagram off and made sure they were clean,cleaned the pcv valve and checked the small electrical connections that are on the side wall passenger side area. The diagram shows a cannister but I cant find one.

Can I still go on vacation with this light on? The car runs fine , have not noticed any changes. Anyone have some ideas on what to try, I have done everything that I can/ what seems obvious to me to check but it has not helped. Thank you to anyone who helps.

RON2368:

Do not be afraid to go ! It was probably your gas cap. It takes a while (and I mean a while) to clear. This problem is one of the joys of owning a Subaru.

I use a locking gas cap and the last time I had this problem I cross threaded the cap. It must have taken 60 or so miles after I found the problem to clear.:banghead:

~Howard

Dittos on the gas cap. You didn't say if you were driving to Seven Springs or California, but remember, the check engine light comes on for emmisions related issues. You might get the code read if you are concerned. Otherwise, if the car is running fine with no strange noises, smells, or drop in fuel economy, you're probably good to go.

You can reset the ECU and see if the CEL comes back when you restart you car. To do so, disconnect your positive battery cable (or unplug fusible link in the engine fuse compartment) for 45 minutes and reconnect it and start you engine but do not press the gas pedal or turn on any accessories. After 5 min., drive it normally and observe the CEL.

The tank was at 1/4 but I went and filled it just now and the light went off.....I just hope it stays off. Thank you!!!!

Just make sure to TIGHTEN the gas cap until it clicks and be sure not to cross tread it. Have a good time !!

~Howard

:cool:

Just make sure to TIGHTEN the gas cap until it clicks and be sure not to cross tread it. Have a good time !!

~Howard

:cool:

This happened to my '99 Forester earlier this year. Light comes on, turns off after a day; back on a day later...and so on. Nothing seemed to have changed, but I took it in to find out what codes were being spit out. Turned out the knock sensor was starting to go. Still worked, but was intermittent. I had it replaced it, and now everything is just ducky.