Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help on exhaust parts

I'm gettin ready to redo my whole exhaust... I'd love some suggestions on what way to go to best fit the rig. I have an EA81 and it is currently backfiring a lot. I wasnt sure if there was a better "Y" pipe that can be used to replace the stock/rusty/hole filled one I have. I've also heard of people saying screw the Y pipe and just going straight dual exhaust from the engine back. Id have to double up on components like cat and muff if I go that route right? If it's worth it powerwise I'll do that. I'm hoping for a better sound, less backfiring and if I can help the overall power by opening up the pipe to a 2-1/2" or 3" pipe I'll do that.

Anybody that has done anything please let me know whats worked for you... Thanks!

http://www.discountconverter.com/universals/index.htm

Go there, they have dual in - dual out converters. 8012 is 2" in and out. 8015 is 2" in and out, but has O2 sensor fitting. Then build yourself a custom dual exhaust system, do a crossover/"H" pipe ifin you want to, to tie the sides together, not really needed though, with this converter set-up. Run some free-flowing mufflers of choice, and you should be good to go. Anything to free-up the breathing of the engine is good, for both economy and overall performance.

http://www.discountconverter.com/universals/index.htm

Go there, they have dual in - dual out converters. 8012 is 2" in and out. 8015 is 2" in and out, but has O2 sensor fitting. Then build yourself a custom dual exhaust system, do a crossover/"H" pipe ifin you want to, to tie the sides together, not really needed though, with this converter set-up. Run some free-flowing mufflers of choice, and you should be good to go. Anything to free-up the breathing of the engine is good, for both economy and overall performance.

That sounds pretty nice, now I'd have to be rid of the y pipe completelly with the dual in dual out. That would take some fancy pipe work wouldnt it? Then as far as free flowing you mean cherry bombs, or any coffee can muff like the hondas have?

Anyone have any pics of their custom exhausts? I'm going to have to do the same thing, replace the whole exhaust (headers are leaky, along with the rest of the exhaust... Its an EA71)

Whats the diameter of the exhaust ports from the heads? I was thinking run that size to a Y pipe through to 2" piping with a resonator and a magnaflow 2" straight through muffler out to 2" piping maybe even without a tip... My car doesnt come with a Cat stock, so I dont have to have one, save myself some money, but it might help with emissions...

Is it a bad idea to run with larger pipes? Like what I think miles was saying a

2-1/4" pipe through the cat and muff. Would 2-1/2 or 3" be too big? Would probably just bog it down huh?

The SPFI Y pipe is 2-1/4? and will that bolt on to the original outlets on an EA81?

Likewise if anyone has pics of their custom piping work I'd love to sneek a peek at em

Anyone have any pics of their custom exhausts? I'm going to have to do the same thing, replace the whole exhaust (headers are leaky, along with the rest of the exhaust... Its an EA71)

Whats the diameter of the exhaust ports from the heads? I was thinking run that size to a Y pipe through to 2" piping with a resonator and a magnaflow 2" straight through muffler out to 2" piping maybe even without a tip... My car doesnt come with a Cat stock, so I dont have to have one, save myself some money, but it might help with emissions...

I have a custom y-pipe that is straight back into a Blue Streak glasspack with a GIANT chrome tip on it. Sounds pretty burly:D

Is it a bad idea to run with larger pipes? Like what I think miles was saying a

2-1/4" pipe through the cat and muff. Would 2-1/2 or 3" be too big? Would probably just bog it down huh?

The SPFI Y pipe is 2-1/4? and will that bolt on to the original outlets on an EA81?

Likewise if anyone has pics of their custom piping work I'd love to sneek a peek at em

The RS guys dont even run over 2.25" on their cars, larger diameter pipes just kills torque. 3" is what WRX's use!!! (for a turbo motor, less backpressure after the turbo = better, you want that air to go out as easily as possible for the most power) I would stick with 2" at most for EA motors.