Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 legacy autotransmission or engine problem?

My 91 legacy (130K) has this on and off problem. The engine would start ok but as soon as I shift to D or R, it seems that the transmission engaging drags the engine to a stall. I've seen a very old message post describing a similar problem. Anyone else had this problem or have an idea what's wrong?

Mechanics I've gone to either couldn't find the problem or recommend a $$$ transmission rebuild. I somehow feel it may not be that bad, maybe just a sensor or maybe something with the engine. The reason is that 1) the problem is intermittent (most days I dont have the problem) 2) it only occurs in the morning or after some period of not driving it. 3) I can always get it to go after warming the engine up for a few minutes.

Appreciate any advice or info.

Josh, I checked your website for reading transmission trouble codes. (Great site by the way!) However in step 5, I cant seem to shift to D with ignition OFF, even with stepping on the brakes. Am I missing something?

BTW, I never noticed this before. When I depress the switch used to change gear when the selector is on P, there is an audible click coming from under the steering column like some relay engaging/disengaging. I suppose that's normal, right?

Hey, I have the same problem with my 92, 221k,. As soon as I shift it into gear it dies. I got code 12 which is the lock-up solenoid "B". I also got 24 which is the "C" transfer solenoid.

I guess my problem is the TC is locked when I shift into gear.

How hard is it to change the solenoid?

Hey, I have the same problem with my 92, 221k,. As soon as I shift it into gear it dies. I got code 12 which is the lock-up solenoid "B". I also got 24 which is the "C" transfer solenoid.

I guess my problem is the TC is locked when I shift into gear.

How hard is it to change the solenoid?

Well my wife ran the car fro about 20 minutes and then it shifted fine into gear. I think the lock solenoid is sticking. I plan on changing the fluid and adding Lucus transmission treatment.

Sounds like a similar problem to mine. However on mine the check engine light doesnt flash. I checked the TCU codes and they were fine. I havent checked the ECU codes because I thought they'd be ok since check engine light didnt flash. Maybe I need to check that.

I dont know how hard it is to change solenoids. Keep me updated if you figure out something.

Here's the latest info on my problem. Check engine code doesn't flash normally, but I tried checking the code in any case and got Code 31 (Throttle Sensor) stored previously. Current TCU codes were also clean but previous code reveals Code 33 (Vehicle speed sensor 2). Could any of these be likely causing the engine stall? But how come they are not in the current code. Thanks for any help.