Ultimate Subaru Message Board

abandoned vehicle Q?

So the GL turbo full time FWD that I drool over everyday as I drive to work I finally found out is abandoned. I talked to the guy who owens the lot and he said his last renter bailed and just left the car and the still owes money for rent.

So the cars has no owner, no key, no title, and needs a new motor. I can deal with the new motor part. Is it a nightmare to try and register such a car. is it worth more than 300 bucks?

Could this be a deal or a headacke ?

If the owner of the lot is willing to file a lein on the car, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.. then he can legally sell it.. I don't know all the specifics of oregon laws, But I do know that in WA or TX, you will be able to buy it from him(after the lein) and register it, but it will be a while before you are actually issued a title.

Beyond that, its front wheel drive and has a bad motor..

I wouldn't give much above $100 for it unless the rest of the car is in EXCELLENT shape.

Oh yeah

So the GL turdo.....

:lol:

the car it self my be worth 300$ but getting it titled is kind of difficult i don't know how it ins in OR. but here in WA you have to either get ahold of the rpevious owner and have them agree to give/sell to you or find some way to have them sign a lost title forms and get them notorized. its a big pain the owner may try and threaten theft of the car or may say no and he wants it back...

If you can find the actual owner of the car it will make filing for a lost title much easier and faster. In Washington it's a three year wait if you have to file without the previous owners present. I seem to recall that Oregon is similar with the time frame.

Here's a link that will help:

http://www.odot.state.or.us/dmv/Vehicles/title_list.htm#Replacement_Title_Only

Find a buddy in Law enforcement and get the plate or vin traced. Once you have a name, finding a good current address will be tough! The registration will likely come back to the address they were evicted from. People like this are hard to track. If the landlord is willing to file the papers that would be the quickest and easyest.

I'd offer him a $100 and filing costs.

NO MORE than 100 bucks. Take it or leave it. Does he want it off the property? Offer him 50 bucks. If the car is open look in the glovebox for the paperwork. That doesn't cost anything. Slim Jim the door if needed. This is what I do when I want info on a car at the junkyard. I take the paperwork then look up the person's # in the phonebook and call to see why they junked it.....

I can't see paying any money to find out unless you have no other options...

in minnesota:

step one

Driver Vehicle Services and get a Title Search, costs about 4.00

shows all who owned it

step two

send certified mail to last owner listed stating your intention,

when you get it back as undeliverable, take it to the courthouse.

step three

go to courthouse and file for abandon vehicle (if youre cheap you can file

another form which delcares the 135.00 fee a hardship, and lets you file free).

(vehicle has to have tabs expired for at least a year, but they dont seem to pay much attention to any of the requirements)

step four

Driver Vehicle Services, perform title transfer into your name, tabs/plates...

get drunk and smash into a dumpster outside the liquor store

I think your asking for alot of headaches there. When I went through this here in Wa. I found out that the PVO had bought the car and swapped plates with another Soob that he owned and trashed. When I contacted the original owner, he signed a bill of sale and the car cost me nothing.

here is what you have to do.. Two options, one is get the land owner to file for abandonment title Not sure how to do this but you can get the forms from DMV.

Second way is get the landlord guy to sign a bill of sale (must be on DMV form, get it from www.oregondmv.com) and take it to the DMV. They will make you sign a statement of financial interest and they will give you a printout showing who the registered owner is. You must then make three goodwill attempts to contact the owner (e.g, phone call, visit to the address on DMV records, and finally, send a registered letter with a lost title form and bill of sale to the address on record. When the letter comes back, you take that sealed envelope, and you mail it along with a short (1 page) essay documenting your attempts to contact the owner and why you should get the car, and you then send this to the DMV main office in Salem (Address is on their website). They will review it and will either send you the title, or a letter stating why you wont' be getting it, in which case I;m sure you can try again. MY friend had to do this with a 510 he had gotten, took him about 3-4 months total, but he eventually got the title. I think the easiest way would be the first method I outlined...

Don't know how it works in oregon, but here's how it works in WA...

Property owner calls the state patrol. WSP sends an officer to "inspect" the vehicle, which translates to "get the VIN and plates". The WSP sends a notice to the last known owner of the vehicle who then has 30 days to respond. If there is no response, the WSP sends the title to the property owner who is now the vehicle owner and may do with it what he/she wishes. Costs something like $50 or so.

Then all you have to do is figure out something with the key, but any decent locksmith can handle that and you can just bypass the ignition switch in the short term, if you want. I'd DEFINITELY go for it.

Well, I think everyone suggestion has been good BUT, the only one that will work is Andrew's, since he lives in Oregon. The other ones work for the state they are in and probably help someone on the board but for this situation Andrew is correct. The other way is if you have a friend that owns a repair shop, they can do a lien on the vehicle. Pretty much what the property manager can do. The forms are available for free at the DMV, I would go get them, and give them to the manager and tell him you will give him $100 plus his cost, when a title is recieved.

i know that most places, if a vehicle is left on your property for a certain period of time after the owner was notified to remove it, the ownership reverts to the property owner. my uncle got a couple cars like that,guy left some cars in his yard for a few months and had been asked to remove em, no response, so after a month, he went to the dmv and got the titles for em.