Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about Transmissions

turbo and non turbo trannys have different spline counts on the stub axles and different final reduction ratios. Pretty different actually. Turbo trannys are (suposed to be) more robust to handle the extra power o fthe turbo motor with out breaking.

what year/model are you working on?

garner

what year/model are you working on?

It's an '89 Turbo Wagon. Transmission has never been right. It slips when first starting out and thereafter shifting into each gear. I'm trying to remember (and failing), all that we have tried to remedy shifting problem. We're rebuilding engine in this one right now and I'm remembering that I had to accelerate and then let off the pedal for it to finally shift.

Well, you gave the year and model, but not the tranny.

If its an Auto, it could be the governor. Its an easy swap out, but if the gear in the diff itself is bad you will be looking for another tranny or diff. I would also check the vacume line going down to the modulator. If theres fluid it the line, its coming up from the tranny (which will make the car smoke). A swap out for the mod is also an easy fix.

On a manual, it might just be the clutch, time/labor consuming but not too bad.

Svxcess, thats a real good first post :rolleyes:

Ive never seen an Auto, 3 or 4 speed, turbo or not, 4wd or not, or any combination there of, that was 25 spline.

I KNOW that the turbo 2wd 3AT have a taller reduction, 2800 at 60....vs a DL's SPFI 3AT is around 3200 at 60. 3400 at 70 vs 4000 at 70.

I also noticed that a Turbo 3at is simply more beefy, the trans case is larger, than a non turbo 3at. Still, ive never seen or heard of an EA82/ER27 auto that had 25 spline. Correct me if I am wrong...id like to know for sure...im only 85% sure.

This is out of the 86 FSM. Its to big to post here, so I made a link to it.

Output splines

There is a difference in size between the MT Turbo and NA trannies. But I couldnt see any diff between the AT trannies.

It would help to have them side by side to tell the diff, but I only have a 5spd S/R Turbo tranny.