Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does anyone's 5spd stick do this????

I have a 97 Outback wagon w/ 127 k on it, new clutch. Problem is that when shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, it "crunches" a bit, like the synchros are going bad. I have filled the 5 spd with new gear oil (85w90 I think, whatever the manual calls for is what I put in) any advice of what to do? fixes, costs, shadetree stuff? Oils? :-\

Yeah, well it's not good...the crunching is the gears mashing into each other. I'm sure I'll have quite a bit of metal when I change the fluid. How much metal did you find? When did you change it? Did this problem develop after you changed the MTF? Some oils are too slippery for the synchros to operate properly.

Change your fluid to RedLine MT 90. I follow the Nissan 300ZX forum, called TwinTurbo.net, and the same problems you describe have been corrected by just changing the fluid. I've not done it to my 300, since there is nothing wrong with its tranny and its very low mileage, but so many respondents to that forum just rave about the shifting/grinding problems that the stuff cures. Its not cheap, but it certainly would be what I would try if I were in your shoes. Don't take my word for it, though, check out the website I gave above, and search the topics on grinding gears, transmission noises and problems. Good luck!

Change your fluid to RedLine MT 90. I follow the Nissan 300ZX forum, called TwinTurbo.net, and the same problems you describe have been corrected by just changing the fluid. I've not done it to my 300, since there is nothing wrong with its tranny and its very low mileage, but so many respondents to that forum just rave about the shifting/grinding problems that the stuff cures. Its not cheap, but it certainly would be what I would try if I were in your shoes. Don't take my word for it, though, check out the website I gave above, and search the topics on grinding gears, transmission noises and problems. Good luck!

Isn't "MT 90" GL-4? His trans. requires GL-5.

I've found no metal shavings/particles in the oil. Good sign for me. I have been researching the previous posts, Redline website, et al., I think that I will try the recommended Redline oil for the MT, there are no dealers in my state though, I'll have to go mail order.

I have been through a lot of oils, Redline NS included. I have found Castrol TAF-X to be the cat's pajamas! I have heard that it goes under the pseudonym "Syntorq" in the states.

Redline works, but doesn't last.

BY THE WAY that sound is the synchromesh teeth bashing into eachother, all the forward cogs/gears are in constant mesh. The synchro teeth are bevelled/rounded to allow for abuse.

This may be apropos of nothing:

My regular independent mechanic was informed by the local (apparent) idiot Subaru dealer that the cure for my differetial binding was to put in a quart of GM Synchromesh into my tranny, along with 3 quarts of regular 80w90. "That'll fix it." Yeah....

Anyhoo, after about 3 months of driving with this concoction (which did make the shifting smooth as butter for that period of time) it started to grind, as you describe, going from 1st to 2nd (actually, only after driving for 20+ minutes).

Last month, the correct fix for my binding (new viscous unit) was performed. I am assuming that to do the job, it was necessary to drain the tranny? Basically since then, no more 1st to 2nd grind. I'm assuming that the dealer at my new location used just plain old OEM 80w90. The shifting isn't quite as smooth in all the other gears like it was with the mesh, but it doesn't grind in any gear anymore.