Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, Intercoolers really work!

So....cool night time...77 deg...no IC...just standard intake stuff...well, 3 inch cone, and a BOV. 2.5 inch cat back and no cats. Stock boost.

2200...boost starts...2600...full boost...3000....gurgle...3200...hicup...3400...skip...3500...burp...3600...giggle...3800...burp burp...4000...*some one in the ECU turns "Full Power Mode" to "ON"....4500...still ON....5000 Still ON!!!....5200...begginings of detonation and a rev limiter feeling/sounding thing....5500...getting worse...6000...more det, and rev limiter kicking in....6200...full rev limiter sound and feel, sputtering and no power to go no more, SHIFT...4000...etc....

Ok...now:

DSCF2375.JPG

DSCF2376.JPG

DSCF2377.JPG

DSCF2378.JPG

Same ole BS from 2800-4000...then the switch is ON until 6200 now. Cant go past 6300 for some reason...and after keepingthe pedal down trying to get past 6300...it acts like it dont want to go anywhere when you get into another gear for a second...

Top of the IC is HOT...and the bottom is COOL...boaderline on COLD....nice strong pull to 6000 for sure. WIth the windows up...sounds kinda like an EJ205 whining under the hood...definatly the IC is the source of that whine that the WRX's have...now the GL-10 has it.

Now, for another thread....

2200...boost starts...2600...full boost...3000....gurgle...3200...hicup...3400...skip...3500...burp...3600...giggle...3800...burp burp...4000...*some one in the ECU turns "Full Power Mode" to "ON"....4500...still ON....5000 Still ON!!!....5200...begginings of detonation and a rev limiter feeling/sounding thing....5500...getting worse...6000...more det, and rev limiter kicking in....6200...full rev limiter sound and feel, sputtering and no power to go no more, SHIFT...4000...etc....

what is the cause of the hicup, skip, burp deal between 3-4 k? I was experiencing something like that only at 1500-3000 ish until I replaced the vac advance unit. Worked like a charm. Are hitting rev cut of boost cut? My motor wil fly past 7k without rev cut. That is if I can get her there without high boost...

garner

No boost cut for this. Its detonation cut before the IC....feels like a fuel plus spark cut at 6300, no matter what. Even no load revving. Hm.

I will attempt to reset the ECU before leaving work today. I might attempt to chage the dizzy later tonight....ive got plenty of those laying around.

WJM,

I need a vac advance units from one of those distys. I have one on loan from mudrat. It is from a latter model turbo disty and isn't quite right. If you have a spare working vac advance unit that you'd like to part with let me know. Basically thge one I borrowed has a shorter pull arm. I pop rivited a little extension to it. It works but is less than optimum.

Sounds like maybe you are experiencing knock retard if you are feeling/ hearing detonation and experiencing a lack of power at that point. Good to know the knock control is working.

I'm collecting Saab APC parts. oddcomp pioneered the adaptation of APC to subaru motors. Lots of folks are adapting the system to various platforms. You know about APC? Knock control system that bleeds boost when it senses knock, rather than retarding timing. Sounds like a great system as you loose a bit of power at detonation but not like hitting a wall. Might be worth looking into

check out this site for more info http://hjem.get2net.dk/bengaard/apc-syst.htm

and a link off that site showing the effect of knocking, pretty scary

http://hjem.get2net.dk/bengaard/stort1.htm

garner

you might also want to make some ducting to make sure the air is flowing onto the intercooler, and not just anywhere around it. Looks cool though! i'd like to see a daytime pic.

-Todd

yes, the "air spliters" that wrx guys use are said to help a lot by diverting the air straight down in to the IC.

An air splitter is actually in the scoop to divert air evenly to the intercooler, while the intercooler shroud, would be around the intercooler, going up to the scoop to keep the air, ...in, so to speak. I think both are worthwhile

this hood and scoop is a test bed for an 04 STi scoop, with proper ducting and splitting to come....

Im not gonna use the APC....There are 6 different vac advance units. Screen shot to come soon in antoehr thread.

I'll see how many VAUs i have alyring around...and we will go from there.

lets not forget i am also working on not using a distributor and using a programmable wasted spark ignition system

i have lots of ping all the sudden lately retarded the disty for now to see if it helped

heh also at almost 250kmiles on the motor i try reallly hard not to hit past 5500 rpm it already sounds like a sewing machine. from running to long be for i could fix the oil pump gaskets

hey WJM, is that the 9.5:1 turbo motor still?

No. That engine died....the rings on cyl #1 are shot, and the exhaust valve on the same cyl developed a meted spot....so there was no compression. the other rings started to go really bad, it used 1 qt of oil every 50 miles. Smoked badly.

So, 'new' exh valve in those heads, and a 7.7:1 turbo shortblock, and bam, its running again.

Isn't a o4 sti scoop going to look a little out of place on your car? It even looks out of place on the sti

Absolutely not. It looks fine on the STi, and it will look even better on my GL-10. The 04 STi scoop is absolutely SEXY. :banana:

Don forget that it will get LOTS of ait to my IC....which is what I want. Plus is looks AWESOME.

Will, you put that scoop on and sport it with pride. at least it has a purpous unlike big wings and body kits:rolleyes:

oh yeah I told you intercoolers were the shiznittle.

I would not trust that hose from the IC to the throttle body. its not designed for pressure is it? I used a similer hose when I was just getting my car up and running. it blew out after a month. go silicone.

Will is insane...that is all...LOL :)

I second the motion.

the hood scoop lets you know its a suby, and its damn sexy on a car.

Hell Yeah. :banana:

Will, you put that scoop on and sport it with pride. at least it has a purpous unlike big wings and body kits:rolleyes:

oh yeah I told you intercoolers were the shiznittle.

I would not trust that hose from the IC to the throttle body. its not designed for pressure is it? I used a similer hose when I was just getting my car up and running. it blew out after a month. go silicone.

If I had a sedan, Id also sport the STi wing as well. Well, ok, the 22B wing. It is adjustable.

Yep...ICs are da bomb.

How did it blow?? I think this one will do fine....maybe....I'll find out when it goes. And when it does....I'll jsut go Spyder. No hose needed...jsut a 2.5 inch piece of coupler 3 inches long. :banana:

Its better now. No more hoses popping off i hope...and the IC is strighter now.....i jsut gotta do some duct work on the scoop....cuz I think alot of air will escape around it under the scoop....But its ok for now. Test drive soon.

And my Corbeau seat is installed now. Good thing im not 1 inch taller....now how am I going to wear my helmet at autoxs now????

DSCF2386.JPG

WJM, you ever come up to maryland? you seem to have everything figured out out with the ea82 engines. i am still learning about the older subies. you gotta come up and help with my turbo upgrade.. well, im just ranting now i guess.

but back on topic, will the stock rx intake manifold be worse for use with the intercooler than the spider intake? do i need to use the spider for the tdo4? and is $55 a good price for the mainifold?

WJM, you ever come up to maryland? you seem to have everything figured out out with the ea82 engines. i am still learning about the older subies. you gotta come up and help with my turbo upgrade.. well, im just ranting now i guess.

Ive never been that far north. Ive got alot figured in these engines...but not everything....YET. ;)

but back on topic, will the stock rx intake manifold be worse for use with the intercooler than the spider intake? do i need to use the spider for the tdo4? and is $55 a good price for the mainifold?

the Spyder intake will be WAY better no matter what you use/do. You can use either intake with the TD04....but go spyder anyhow, its better.

$55?!?!? Id say no...since I got 3 spyders for FREE. But yeah...$55 is a good deal if its a COMPLETE TURBO spyder intake manifold assy. Otherwise...its still good as long as you have the main plenum, and the lower peice that houses the injectors and routes coolant and some other crap.

WJM,

what did you do about fuel cut, i am running just about the same setup on my 88 gl wagon. wrx intercooler and all. i just went on a test drive tonight after getting it set up. no i hit fuel cut at like 5psi boost, in 3rd gear.

i realy want to fix it.

let me know if you have the same prob...

thanks

-=suberdave=-