Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who's got cheap roof racks?

My loyale only has those channels that run lengthwise (front to back) on the top of the car, but no other parts are left. I was hoping to get some sort of cargo carrier up there, but looking around this stuff seems to cost more than I want to pay and/or require all the stock rack pieces...some of those Thule racks cost more than the car, sheesh.

Anyone got a suggestion for where to look for a cheap setup that will attach to those channels? Just looking for a rack that I can bungee things into, not necessarily enclosed or anything.

You want a roof basket??? See Soobme. He made mine, and at an EXTREMLY reasonable price. I was quoted over $250 for a custom made roof basket, the one I got from Tony was made to my spec's and was less than 1/2 that price.

here are pix of mine:

finishedrack_004.jpg

rackwagon_013.jpg

Im sure tony can make it so it'll attatch to your existing runningboards. Or you could remove them and attatch it to the gutters like I have.

His nickname on here is Soobme... shoot him a PM and im sure he can help you out.

-Brian

if thats what you're after then thats great

I do think that I have a set of towers to fit the GL series (I used on my 88- with hopes of one day getting another GL) laying downstairs somewhere... you could score some bars from caleb and if i can find the towers, i'll send em to ya cheap.

our subaru alliance have installed roof racks on both the 4wd conversion sedan, and the RX. i did one on an 88 DL

the outer rails are 2.5 inches fom the rear seam on a wagonb from the tailgatew, 2.75 from the side of the roof, and the center rails are 10.5 inches from the outer rails

on the rx, the rails have been choppes just ahead of the mounting screw, so they dont sticj up with the curvature of the roof

on th4e sedan, one of the cossmembers have been drilled out to acommodate sets of baja lights

our applications removed the headlinet and use 1/4 inch screws with nylock nuts