Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rumble + shimmy = ?

ok, if you read my recent threads, you'll know that i have recently had some suspension work done on my trusty little loyale. I just got it back yesterday and it's picked up a bit of a shimmy which i assume is just an alignment or tire balance problem. it has also developed a slight rumble in the front end. It is also dropping speed a lot faster than it used to when coasting (clutch pushed in). the rumble is most pronounced at around 40-50 mph. could this also be part of my alignment/tire balance problem? should i check out the CV joints? where would you all start?

I know that its probably most likely not related, but to some, a rumble and shimmy can mean different things. my 83 brat without the motor running going straight makes a really loud clunking sound when you push the car by hand. if you drive the car it sounds like a deisel rod knock but if you are cruising at a slow enough speed you can feel the front of the car jerk. i have pretty much located my problem being the front diff as i blew the rear one 6 months ago.

but in your case i would think a rumble and shimmy would be tire related since you have had front end work done, and the tires were being worn one way, and now that you have done work to correct things, the tires are going to wear differently allowing you to hear different noises you didnt hear before. try swapping the tires around front to back and so on.

Another thing to check is your front brakes.

Was driving the '84 yesterday, started do do a shake-n-shimmy after about 3 miles driving. Could feel it in the steering wheeel also. Got to my destination and started to check on things. The PS front brakes were hot, and they were making that noise of cooling off.

About an hour later, I headed back to the house, no problems at first, but it started back up again about 2 miles down the road. Drove it on home, and same thing on the front. Now I have to swap out the caliper and rotor. Will inspect the bearings while I'm at it.

I had the same sort of prob a few months ago w/my 88 gl wagon, then again in my daughter's '81 BMW320, and also in other Kid's 91 VW Fox, in all three cases it turned out to be tire wear. (new tires for everyone!) on mine it was bkoken cords. I could see the warp in the tire from the front of the car. Same thing on the BMW. We have some horrific potholes up here during break-up (spring thaw). Anyway, I also discovered worn ball joint on the side that had the front tire w/broken cords, and replaced both sides. Hopefully you won't have to go through that hassle.

just took another look at things and it appears that the CV joint boot is damaged. sooooooo a lack of grease could be causing my rumble. in any case, not good. also, i'm losing pressure on the left front tire slowly so perhaps i bent the rim a bit. so now i'm wondering how long i can drive on that cv joint with not grease in it before it fails on me

Well, as a point of reference, I got my 83 for free about 4-5 months ago. It had been sitting in a friends yard for nearly a year before that. All 4 CV boots were torn when i got the car and I'm just now getting around to replacing them... about 6000 miles later. They still work, but I've finally got both time and money. :drunk: