Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering

What are the PS parts from? I'll come pick them up and help you "delete" it if you like..... I'm only about 1.5 hours from you.

Basically, you just pull off the belt, and then you can either plug the lines for the rack, or put in a non-power rack from another car. I vote for finding a non-power rack from another EA82 - they turn nice - almost like having PS actually. But even with the power rack, and no belt you will still be able to turn it fairly easily. I ran this way on my lifted wagon for a time - even with the big tires it was managable.

GD

Actaully I don't - I want his pump and lines - I'll take the rack for experimention if he's giving it away tho..... And I have driven a non-PS EA82. I could easily palm the wheel at a dead stop with 165-80R13's. They really do have a nice feel to them. Not very common tho. Most EA82's had PS.

Also there is the concern that the PS rack would not like having it's continous flow of fluid cut off after a time - certain parts of the rack are lubricated by the ATF, so having it just sitting in there might not be the best idea. I have run mine without the pump for short distances in the past and it was fine..... but then mine also recently died, so who knows.

GD

I've heard of people deleting their power steering. How do they do this? Just take the belt off and remove the pump?
On my 88 GL wagon I pulled the whole pump off, the bracket from the block, all the silly lines and brackets down to the fittings on the steering rack at the main crossmember. I also removed the AC pump and all the stupid lines, fittings, canisters, condenser, etc etc etc. Had to get a new V belt then so I could run my alternator and water pump. Just measured it by running a string around where the belt would go and foud a belt at the parts store the same size loop (or close cuz the alternator swings over an inch)

Rack still works fine. I didn't even cap off the lines at the main crossmember where the fittings are wide open. Might be wise to cap those off but whatever floats your boat. I guess my steering rack likes muddy water and sand :)