Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Outback Wagon engine type

I have the 2.5 liter engine but, how do I determine if I have a phase I or II engine in my car? Based upon some responses here, the phase II motor is much better. I presently have an oil leak(not sure from where), need service and I'm concerning it's gonna be expensive. Only 57K on my car. My service manual states that the Time belt should be changed every 100k -- is this an indication of which motor I have?

Also, I'd appreciate common oil leak causes and costs??

Thanks

Where are you located?

Unless you have a very oddball assembly, you will have the Phase I DOHC engine. I'm assuming you are in North America.

You can tell if it is DOHC or SOHC by looking at the timing belt covers.

Commuter

Where are you located?

Unless you have a very oddball assembly, you will have the Phase I DOHC engine. I'm assuming you are in North America.

You can tell if it is DOHC or SOHC by looking at the timing belt covers.

Commuter

I live in Pennsylvania. If I have the DOHC, then I'm assuming it's a Phase I? Also, any ideas on the oil leak and costs?

Thanks

Your car should have a Phase II block with Phase I heads. It is very very unlikely (but not impossible AFAIK) that your car has Phase II heads. Without knowing the source of the oil it is very difficult to estimate the cost to repair. It could be as simple as a valve cover gasket or as complex as a rear main seal.

Your car should have a Phase II block with Phase I heads. It is very very unlikely (but not impossible AFAIK) that your car has Phase II heads. Without knowing the source of the oil it is very difficult to estimate the cost to repair. It could be as simple as a valve cover gasket or as complex as a rear main seal.

I haven't had a chance yet to read all the threads associated with the engine problems. What does having a Phase II block w/Phase I heads mean to me -- better reliability?

I'm having bad day dreams because of this problem with my car!

I haven't had a chance yet to read all the threads associated with the engine problems. What does having a Phase II block w/Phase I heads mean to me -- better reliability?

Hard to say. The Phase II block has some improvements, but they probably aren't significant in most cases. It still has the Phase I heads, which will cause you more problems than anything else.

Phase I heads: you have the DOHC valve train, though I do not know what specific changes were made to the block in the Phase II 2.5 engine.

Foresters were equipped with the Phase II heads and block beginning in 99, and Legacies and Outbacks in 2000. The Phase II engines are prone to external coolant leaks, which are not nearly as severe, if quickly addressed, as the internal leaks seen in Phase I engine.

As for the your oil leak, 99obw is correct. If you have trouble locating the leak, you could try thoroughly degreasing your engine with a non-toxic chemical like simple green. Check to see if there is oil dripping from the bottom of the timing belt cover; if so, it's a leak from your cam seals and/or front crank seal. This would probably involve a T-belt change due to oil contamination. If it's coming from the rear between the engine and the transmission, the rear crankshaft seal is only $10 or so but labor is equivalent to that of a clutch job. But if it's as easy as the valve cover gasket, it's a very simple job.