Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Separator Plate in 2.2? Clutch job parts list.

I am preparing to do my first clutch job, and have been reading up on others' experiences. I have seen quite a few of you mention the "oil separator plate" and the replacement of plastic with metal versions. However, all the discussions I have seen tend to be based around the 2.5L engine.

Does my 2.2 also have this separator? If so were they also shipped with the plastic version that should be swapped out?

I would like to round up all the parts ahead of time, as this needs to be a one-day job so for $15 I'll pick one up if I might need it. Anyone had experience?

So far my list includes the following:

rear seal

bearings (pilot/throwout)

disc

pressure plate

exhaust manifold gaskets

Anything else? Do the rear cam seals need to be done? If so I am assuming this would be the time to do them?

BTW car has 110k.

Thanks.

-Heikki

I just had it done on my 1999 Legacy L wagon. The separator plate was plastic, so thanks a bunch for the good advice I got here. One more part I'd add would be the clutch cable (if your car has cable operated clutch vs hydraulic one).

There are no rear cam seals - only small caps that you can reseal with permatex ultra-grey. but to do that you need to remove the valve covers, which you won't be doing for the clutch.

you may add a clutch fork boot. mine crumbled when i removed mine, and the dealer had to order a replacement. it is not a big deal, as you can reassemble it without it and just put it on when you get a chance to pick one up.

are you planning to have the flywheel machined? well worth it IMO...