Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alt. for the brake tool?

Someone here said they use one of those wrenches that you use to change the blade on your angle grinder. The ones with the two pins?

I'm trying that next time I do brakes:confused:

Good Luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

i like to use cannel plies around the circumfrence to get it moving, and once it goes too far in for the pliers thin i use the handle end of pliers or needle nose pliers to turn ot some more.

be sure not to press the brake pedal with the caliper off, but the parking brake is ok to use. if the piston is hyper extended you may nered to tap it with a hammer till it catches a thread and turns in

Take a piece of pipe the same diameter as the caliper and chop it so it has notches on each side of the pipe opposite each other. Then twist the pipe.

Jmr if you want to borrow my pipe when I get out there let me know.

... or just go buy a dang $5 "turn in tool" for brake calipers. It's a funny looking cube of metal that snaps right onto a socket driver.

Normally I say 'forget the stupid special tool' but really this isnt that special and any parts store worth its weight in salt will have one.

I have done it several methods from the pliers, the cube and now an actual piston tool that I purchased to do VW rear calipers. It is by far the best one of all that I have tried. yes it costs a little more but it saves a lot of frustration.they all work to some degree.

be carefull if you do use air tools. there are seals in there that may not react well to being spun like that.