Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm going to be installing a new cruise control switch in my Outback. I'd liek to disable the air bag, is it possible to just unhook the negative battery cable and pull the fuse that controls the air bag?

Yes and yes. I'd advise just simply pulling the negative off the battery while you do the work. That way you cover all possible bases to be safe. At that point pulling the fuse is no extra help, so just the battery will be fine.

Keith

BE CAREFUL!!!!! The airbag assembly has an onboard capacitor that retains an electrical charge for as long as a half an hour after the battery has been disconnected. It could still fire off in that time if you are not careful. Pull the battery cable and wait 30 minutes to be safe, before you mess with the steering wheel. The backup system is designed into the airbags in the event that some severe collision should quickly cut the battery out of equation. In the case there would still be enough juice to fire off the bags and prevent injury to the occupants. Please don't quote me, but I believe this is what I have read somewhere in the last two or three years, I just can't recall where. Anyone else out there who can verify or update my information?