Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru boat???

Zefy

I own an old 17 ft. boat (1974 Rienel) that has been pushed through the water by a Volvo Penta AQ130 engine (2.0 ltr.) and it is getting very tired. I have contemplated rebuilding and a swap. The rotory was an idea until I looked at the cost of all the parts and engine to make it work.

I now would like info on Subaru engines and possible configurations. I understand that these engines are relatively inexpensive and seem to be durable. I would like to bump hp to somewhere around 150. I am not a big fan of turbos, nor do I need to do 70 mph on the water. I would like dependability foremost and economy to be the main factors.

We are hitting $3/gal. here for regular now, so economy is a factor.

Thank you for having me here. And thank you for any input on this project you may be able to lend.

what i would go for is a 2.2 liter engine (an EJ22 its called) out of a early legacy... (90-94 i think... more models had them but i don't know them all)

with a little tuning you could easily pump it up to 150hp...

they produce a nice 135hp (round about) on there own...

i think that engine is what you should look for... i've seen many on e-bay... some for less then 1000 bucks... with any older engines, to get that kinda power your going to have to look at a turbo... unless you want a 6 cylinder(ER27) out of a XT-6... but that isn't really worth the weight on a boat...

i want to build my subyboat... so many things to do and no money to do them...

• 12 years later...